235/85 R16

eastw77

gallery_3439_704_56016.jpg

I think they look ok....

At the time of this pic the car had no lift and only front arch trimming. The rear tyres caught the rear arches (inside) and the rear door skin. I did a 40mm body lift and trimmed the rear arches to match the front and all is fine now

Some are narrower than others. The 235 is measured at the widest part of the tyre, typically the bulge halfway between the rim and the tread. So if you are looking for a tyre, measure the actual tread width. I currently have Goodyear duratreks 235's and the tread width is wider than my 255 MTs.

Some are narrower than others. The 235 is measured at the widest part of the tyre, typically the bulge halfway between the rim and the tread. So if you are looking for a tyre, measure the actual tread width. I currently have Goodyear duratreks 235's and the tread width is wider than my 255 MTs.

That's something I'd not considered actually... Is there any way to work out which tyres are wider than others other than literally measuring lots of different sets side by side?

Thanks for the pics guys, I think they look OK. I'm leaning towards some Maxxis Bighorn MT762's at the minute. Or possibly Kumho KL71's. :D

I've heard good things about KL71s, they've won lots of tyre tests because they seem to match the Insa Turbo Sahara and co. off-road, but actually stop and go on-road too! I'm also looking at this size for mine, what wheels will they be going on out of interest?

I've heard good things about KL71s, they've won lots of tyre tests because they seem to match the Insa Turbo Sahara and co. off-road, but actually stop and go on-road too! I'm also looking at this size for mine, what wheels will they be going on out of interest?

Yeah I have read a few good things about the KL71's also. The bighorns seem to get good reviews as well. I have a 1988 classic and they will be just going on the standard vogue alloys for now.

235x85x16 grizzly claws come up at 32inch diameter and fitted mine with a 2inch suspension lift, 1inch body lift and no cutting of the arches.

The tyres below are now for sale as i tow a caravan and wanted a better handling road tyre.

IMG_3741.jpg

235x85x16 grizzly claws come up at 32inch diameter and fitted mine with a 2inch suspension lift, 1inch body lift and no cutting of the arches.

The tyres below are now for sale as i tow a caravan and wanted a better handling road tyre.

IMG_3741.jpg

That's

NICE!! :D :D

Got any more pics?

That looks AWESOME biggrin.gif

Looks like it means business without being overly "blinged" up.

The "stance" looks just right like that IMO :)

What's it like on articulation? Does it catch at all?

I was looking at 235 85 R16s with just a 2" suspension lift, (Mine should sit higher on a "+2" because its a lighter two door with different geometry) so I'd say it was roughly equivalent to your +3" lift.

And one last question: 16 x what modulars?

I need tor read the ALRC book on wheels and what I can and can't do for RTV's I think, I have some plans ;)

A repaint is definitely on the cards for mine! Paint was a horrible colour to start with (Cassis Red) and it's it badly faded now especially the bonnet. New Zealand sun taking it's toll. The rest of the car though is in top condition no rust anywhere. :D

My mate just bought one that has been imported from the UK. Shiny paint job but underneath is a disaster. Everyone keeps saying how it is in such better condition than mine. :angry: :angry:

Amazing....... I'll paint mine and show those fools!! :rolleyes:

I've been running my RRC Ambulance on 235/85 for a while and they've worked well with raised suspension.

Ran Cooper STT till I wore them down, and now on KL71's which I've been very impressed with

That looks mega smile.gif Perfect overland car IMO - the comfort and luxury of a Rangie with the space of a 110 biggrin.gif

I know a couple of people who have run the KL71s and they have performed very well with lots of grip on all surfaces and suprisinly little road noise for what is a pretty open style of tyre. However there are two bigger issues which have arisen.

1 - They are directional so unless you carry two spares you are really "guessing" which you may have to replace.

2 - They are a pretty soft compound so do wear fast and the sidewalls are very soft to cuts and gashes which they suffered with when we where in Wales. Nothing to damage the tyre but you could tell they weren't as resilient as BFG MTs

I have also just inherited dads 235/85 R16 BFG KM muds from him which after about 18,000 road and off road miles on the defender have only dropped from 14mm to 12mm of tread in the centre blocks. These have now been replaced with 265/75 KMs which have so far performed faultlessly and with even less road noise. Personnally I would go with BFG as they are worth the money in the long run if you can raise it at the start.

Finally for arches and clearance remember the offset of the rim as this is important in the arch the tyre takes and if it clips the arches or not. I have gone back to standard alloys at +25mm offset rather than modulars (+40mm) offset in order to avoid just this on my discovery.

All the best and Hope this helps.

Ryck