ARB Locker failure

steve_d

We have ARB lockers on a contest vehicle and lost front drive during an event last Sunday.

Having pulled the drive shafts, which were considered to be the culprits at the time, they are in good order.

When I stripped the diff down I found that the diff casing has sheared from its flange which bolts to the crown wheel.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Many thanks

Steve

We have ARB lockers on a contest vehicle and lost front drive during an event last Sunday.

Having pulled the drive shafts, which were considered to be the culprits at the time, they are in good order.

When I stripped the diff down I found that the diff casing has sheared from its flange which bolts to the crown wheel.

Many thanks

Steve

yep

several, its a weak point of them, you can buy a new flange

Nige

One issue (Steve ex KAM Diffs) belives this to be is build quality, in very hard competition use

bolts / holes are not either clean enough, or old bolts used that are more easily streched further,

and or incorrect locking compound used / porrly torqued up and / or a combination of all.

We have had difs in recently where the bolts were just finger tight, sure they were not when they were

originally built, but these had all loosened, owner was a tad stunned when they undid so easily, loose bolts

or streched bolts here means the flange can "Shunt" backwards and forwards, a sign of this startuing is the "Holes"

become "Ovals", then it not too far if continued for the flange to just give up and shear

They are only a casting, and not too thicker one at that, so there is not much meat if things get loose

they can be bought new from ARB but they are defo "Not Cheap"

Hope this helps

Nige

Have now decided to bin it and replace with Ashcrofts own version.

'Steps back and waits to be told that is also a bad move'

Although their reputation would leave me to think it's the best move.

Steve

Steve

Certainly a damned sight cheaper than an ARB!

Hi Unfortunately we have seen this before on ARB which is why we use billet steel for the main body on our locker. Our Lockers were given a good testing at the recent Croatia event by a number of competitors including the winner Jim (Gigglepin) Marsden. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Steve

<vulture Mode On>

Steve

Could you PM what you wHat for the bitsa arb parts

Might be useful for me :)

<vulture Mode off>

:D

Nige

Steve

<vulture Mode On>

Steve

<vulture Mode off>

Nige

Many thanks

Steve

Yeah did it twice in my winch challenge 90 about 6 years ago when I had a Kam 4.75 crown wheel

<vulture Mode On>

Steve

<vulture Mode off>

Nige

Hi Nige

With the high probability our driver will break the one at the other end I think I need to hang on to the bits.

However if he breaks that one in the same way I will bear you in mind because by that time his wallet will have taken quite a beating.

The diff was at the end of the day and followed a roll into a Scotish Burn, An attack on a gate post which destroyed the N/S front wing, lights and bonnet corner. Another incident removed the O/S front wheel spat but he dosen't know when and where.

Steve

Re the ashcroft Locker, I have absolutely nothing but good over it, spec, build quality and price,

a winning combo, if my ARBs ever (RD56s so I stand a chance) end up causing me to think of something

else I would defo try and buy a Ashcroft locker over anything else on the market.

Nige

Hi Unfortunately we have seen this before on ARB which is why we use billet steel for the main body on our locker. Our Lockers were given a good testing at the recent Croatia event by a number of competitors including the winner Jim (Gigglepin) Marsden. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Hi Ian

when I called to order one of yours they were out of stock but someone went away and had a dig around under a bench somewhere and found one for me.

Should be arriving today with luck.

Thanks

Steve

Right

Ashcroft locker has arrived and very pretty it looks too.

Now the problems start.

1. When an ARB locker is installed one of the domed locking/adjuster rings is replaced with the ARB version. As I didn't fit the ARB I don't have the old ring in 'That box' under the bench. Anyone know a part number and where I can get one? Second hand would do.

2. What preload torque are the main roller bearings set too?

3. What backlash should I see as a starting point for setting the CW/Pinion mesh?

4. Anywhere I can find a table of the bolt torque figures?

Nige is right this is missing from the tech archieve but as can be seen from my questions I'm not the one to write it.

Thanks for any help

Steve

I only know the axles to be Disco 2.

Thank you Nige and Steve for the diff build today.

Proved just how little I know about the task.

Hopefully your introduction to the Ashcroft locker was worthwhile. It certainly looks a nice piece of kit.

Thanks

Steve

Thank you Nige and Steve for the diff build today.

Proved just how little I know about the task.

Hopefully your introduction to the Ashcroft locker was worthwhile. It certainly looks a nice piece of kit.

Thanks

Steve

Your welcome, It was a pleasure to meet you. The Ashcroft locker does look to be a good improvement over the ARB, it was nice to set up and everything fitted as it should.

Ps, that Ford Focus RS orange looks fantastic on your 110"

Regards, Steve

• 3 weeks later...