Fibre Glass Double Cab roof sections.

will_warne

OK, I'm very close to buying a double cab roof for a small fortune and to try and save others a few £££ and to recoup some of the expense I'm looking at making some copies of the rear section in fibre glass. The front section of the double cab is standard hard top, its just the rear setion that's unique. I'm looking at making up a kit that'll allow you to create either a double cab or a king cab of the length of your choice. The design isn't finalised but fitting would be fairly straight forward and, once painted, the new roof would look identical to the factory from the outside. At the moment I don't think a roof lining would be provided BUT I might look at it again if there's demand.

Before I go ahead with this I'd just like to know if there's any interest. Ideally I'd be looking to produce between 5 and 10 to make it worth while.....

In simple terms the real problem is with a "Real" roof a tree "Smacking" it produces a dent, with a fibreglass roof you have a shattered broken mess....

I lost count of the number of Ali wings I may for bowlers who got fed up with the fibreglass ones, when drew stopped making ali ones.......same reason, now due to demand the ali ones are availbale again (and no, not from me PITFA to make- Oh and I sold the former I made to make them at Sodbury, just kept the former for flaring arches - eh tonk JW ? :D )

If you buy the proper roof, and use it off road, its just a matter of time till you gain a dent or 3 and a :angry: look on yer face, use a fibreglass one and the face will be worse :(

Nige

I've thrown my bike up the road and scrapped the gel coat off the edges of the fairing and the panniers, and three people I know have not fastened their panniers on correctly and had them overtake them on the motorway at 70mph with only chipped corners. All depends on how well the manufacturer goes into making them IMHO

Will,

I take it this will just be the rear section, people will need to source a front bit off a hard top and make up the side panels as well ?

I've got Si's side panels and front off the my "old style Hybrid Roof" :)....which is now all over the garden :lol:

If the glassfibre is laid up in woven cloth it won't shatter like the crappy sprayed chopped strand. The woven cloth is very strong. We've made a full metro 6r4 shell with woven cloth, only two layers, and it's been banged and bashed a few times, and not even a chip or scratch yet.

Guest diesel_jim

And fiberglass can be repaired quite easily too.... we've got 3 tow-a-van trailers at work, and they're always getting smacked about.

there is a boat repair yard near to Malmsebury (yeah i know.... nowhere near water!) and they do a great jot at sticking it all back together again.

Les, yes, its just the rear section; this is the rare bit. The rest of a genuine roof is simply a hard top roof. So, yes, you could do what you're thinking about.

Nige, I totally agree. This is one of the reasons why I'm only making the rear section. The other thing to think about Nige is that these roofs cost a fortune for the genuine article and are hard to get hold of.

On the construction side of things, the guy who's building it spends his life building fibreglass conponents (including body panels) and he knows how to make them strong. He will be using fibreglass matting rather than sprayed strand. It should be easy enough to repair if its damaged badly.

Will,

I would have thought that if you got a full crew cab roof made in fibreglass, you could sell a good deal more than 10, after all they are very sought after and a bolt on and forget roof would appeal to the weekend mechanics.

pennysworth

Mo

Will,

I would have thought that if you got a full crew cab roof made in fibreglass, you could sell a good deal more than 10, after all they are very sought after and a bolt on and forget roof would appeal to the weekend mechanics.

pennysworth

Mo

Mo, I'd thought of this BUT most people will be onverting from hardtops/CSWs so already have most of the roof. Also the bulkhead needs moving to do the doublecab which makes the job a little longer. Plus the cost of production would at least double making the roof quite a bit more expensive.

There might be annother development. I've been speaking to a guy who may be able to get entire double cab roofs made of fibreglass and at a very good price. He's a bit busy until after Billing but he said he'd make enquiries after the weekend. I'll let you know of any news.

Will

The design isn't finalised but fitting would be fairly straight forward and, once painted, the new roof would look identical to the factory from the outside

why would you want a roof that looks identical to a factory?

sorry, just bored at work.

If he can make a mold for a whole roof, it should then allow to make rear portions, so should be a win-win scenario

Its not that simple, the roofs I'm looking at are made in South Africa and are based on the Santana design. That means single peice, double skinned. As I say, I'm going to wait for info on availability and shipping plus talk to my fibreglass man about the viability of cutting and shuting these roofs. The main thought behind these roofs is that shipping in 3 or 4 won't cost significantly more than shipping in 1. With them costing approximatly £250, add some shipping and tax and you could have a roof of £350 - £400.