London Low Emmission Zone

Def90

LEZ on light vans starts on 03.01.12. :angry:

Indeed and the earliest hardtop Defender that is compliant is the TD5.

Just hope those bar stewards wonderful people at TfL don't start changing the goalposts in a couple of years!! :unsure: :unsure:

Indeed and the earliest hardtop Defender that is compliant is the TD5.

Just hope those bar stewards wonderful people at TfL don't start changing the goalposts in a couple of years!! :unsure: :unsure:

A TD5 is not necessarily compilant with LEZ requirements. It is a Euro III compliant engine (well mine is listed as EIII) not EIV that is currently needed for compliance in January.

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

With Jan 2012 coming ever closer, has anybody had any luck in getting an emept status.

By this i mean for a Hardtop 110. Please for those of you lucky enough to have an orgninal CSW them please let this post concentrate on hardtops and pickups.

I have 9 seats (sideward facing) which have been in since i brought it, but no windows, however these appear to be a non factory addition as its not listed on the VIN as 9 seats

From my conversations with the limited intelligence TFL people the simple to use flowchart has been removed and other than the online checked is the only reference source.

Has anybody sucessfully re-listed a hardtop as a CSW?

If so what mods did you do, how hard was it getting it through the DVLA, what cost and are you now exempt?

Has anybody persuaded both the dvla and TFl by cutting windows in the back of a hardtop and adding sideward facing seats?

Anybody got through as per the old flowchart of listing the LR as having 9 seats?

Anybody had a filter fitted?

How much? If so how big are they - are you likely to damage offroad?

cheers for your help,

please guys can i request only useful suggestions and not the usual list, change engine, don't go to london etc etc etc, i serious need a final answer before possibly selling the beauty.

There are answers to lots of your questions in the other lez threads on the forum.

To summarise, land rover have washed their hands of anything pre 98. The dvla now seem to be refusing to reclassify anything (even genuine csws) without a letter from land rover, so unfortunately the chances are low of getting yours reclassified.

A lot of people seem to be reporting changes in their status lately, have you checked your status recently?

I had my defender fitted with some temperature logging device by a Scandinavian filter company, we concluded the Tdi does produce high enough temperatures, at the rough fitment point of the filter, to only require a simple filter system. So no need for extra dosing or post turbo fuel injection.

The filter was £1800 but that was literally a filter in a box, no guarantee on making the VOSA test for emissions to reclasify it, and the sizing IIRC, was around 8" dia by 18" long - probably a bit too tight for a 90 but not for a 110. I have never received a proper engineering drawing of the filter, nor a picture. the informtation did come from the manufacturers though.

So, I have decided to fit a V8 to my hardtop, the family 110 is going through reclassification (we hope)

A friend of mine has an ex TD hardtop, now with a different body and 3.3ltr Mazda diesel engine, and he is classed as exempt. What justice is there in that? Where a vehicle with a huge diesel, that is a commercial, is exempt whereas my pukka hardtop with smaller Tdi isn't? I echo everything about his being a farce, frankly I feel terribly hard done by.

But I've seen references on other forums to change of status for hardtops

Can Anybody shed any light on this

I suspect it was just luck, and probably prior to the current panic and resultant influx of v5s to the dvla from land rover owners asking for a change of status.

• 1 month later...

Just a tip for 110 CSW owners. I wrote to TFL, quoting my chassis number and enclosing a copy of the LEZ consultation document as well as some photos of the vehicle showing it had 5 doors and the second row of seats. I firstly got a letter back thinking me for registering and then another a few days later confirming my car is exempt.

If you have a 110CSW, even if your V5C says "4x4 UTILITY VEHICLE", a polite letter to TFL will get you off the list of shame.

Don't think this will be much use to anyone, but just to add to the info on here - My 1986 110 Hard top 200tdi conversion is listed as 'saloon' on the V5 and comes up as exempt on the checker.

Not sure if this is something to do with it being ex MOD?

Who knows. I just count myself lucky!