Monroe or Terrafirma Shocks

Hi all,

The 110 failed its MOT on worn rear shock absorber bushes so I guess it's time to take the old shocks off. While they are off I am planning to replace the shocks - but what with.

Current favorites are the Terrafirma standard ones or Monroe Adventure.

The truck is a 110 double cab, fitted with HD rear springs, Mainly used for overlanding type adventures, not so much into the extreme off road style adventres!

Cheers

Ben

I used a company called extreme 4x4, they asked a lot of questions about vehicle usage, equipment fitted etc, they recommended their standard shocks. These are now fitted and I have not been disappointed. I would definitely recommend them.

PS I have have no connection with the above company, just a very satisfied customer.

Slomofo,

Where are you? If your not too far away that could be ideal.

I had Monroe's on my 90 and thought they were great, but then again TF weren't around then!

I'm up in Warwick, but in Bicester quite often.

I'll get a couple of pix up later

I can wholeheartedly recommend the gas-filled Bilsteins.

Fitting a set to my D90 in place of the seven-year-old, 75,000-mile-old original-fitment dampers gave a spectacular improvement in overall stability: I don't have to grip the steering-wheel like a crazed maniac when caught in the air-turbulence while passing trucks, and the bowel-loosening steering-shudder that used to happen when the inside front wheel caught a pothole part-way round a bend has also totally gone.

Bilsteins aren't cheap - but they're worth it. Trust me on this.

--Tanuki

"The last Tormentor General was one Thomas Bainbridge, appointed to the post by Oliver

Cromwell in 1642. With his creative punishments he played a major part in the Massacre

of Drogheda in 1649 but on the restoration of the Monarchy in 1661 Bainbridge was

arrested, found guilty of high treason, and executed by being lowered head-first into

a barrel of toads. Let this serve as a warning to you all"

I can't comment on Terrafirma, but I found the Monroe Adventurers I had on my RRC were way to soft, even with only me in it. With the weight of a 110 I would think they'd be very wallowy.

I am a strong advocate of de Carbon shocks. I have them on the RRC now, they made a huge difference to the handling without making the ride too harsh and are still good when fully loaded.

I also have de Carbons on my Ninety and am very pleased with them.

Great, I'll wait to see them.

As promised

FlexKit010.jpg

FlexKit011.jpg

FlexKit012.jpg

Pairs of TF116 & TF117 taken of a 90 which had a 40mm lift - ran for 800 miles mostly on road with no issues at all. Only grumble being teh paint finish not being teh most resilient, where teh springs have rubbed its flaked off (when I jetwashed them!) so the dark patches are Kurust. They may need a tart up if vanity is your thing!

Only removed to fit +6" :P Shocks on a flexkit, otherwise they would still be doing the job..

FlexKit002.jpg

Let me know if you want them...

Ben,

My 110 is fitted with TF medium shocks and springs and I find them to offer a great ride I have done a couple of heavily loaded overland trips with them I did try a truck with the HD ones but found them to be too hard and without a load the truck was empty and bounced around like a kangaroo!!

I have not tried the Monroe ones so can't comment, only thing I would add is Terrafirma do sets of shocks and springs as a package at the shows which worked out as a great deal and as we are coming into show season may be worth considering.

Jason.

Cheers Slomofo,

I spoke to Frogs Island yesterday (how are part of Allmakes who make terrafirma stuff) and they haver suggested going for a +2" rear set up due to the HD spings I have fitted, so thanks, but I will pass this time.

Cheers all for the replies, I am going to go with the TF116 for the from and TF117 +2" for the rear. I will also be changing the springs with Genunine HD fronts and rears which I have at home.

I will report back as to how I get on, but the new springs and shocks, plus the Superpro bushes I have just fitted should see the truch handling like new!

I can wholeheartedly recommend the gas-filled Bilsteins.

Fitting a set to my D90 in place of the seven-year-old, 75,000-mile-old original-fitment dampers gave a spectacular improvement in overall stability: I don't have to grip the steering-wheel like a crazed maniac when caught in the air-turbulence while passing trucks, and the bowel-loosening steering-shudder that used to happen when the inside front wheel caught a pothole part-way round a bend has also totally gone.

Bilsteins aren't cheap - but they're worth it. Trust me on this.

I'm glad you say that, I currently experience this feeling occasionally.

I'm getting bilsteins on the front dampers, and a mate has offered me his barely used OMEs for the back.

Cheers Slomofo,

I spoke to Frogs Island yesterday (how are part of Allmakes who make terrafirma stuff) and they haver suggested going for a +2" rear set up due to the HD spings I have fitted, so thanks, but I will pass this time.

Cheers all for the replies, I am going to go with the TF116 for the from and TF117 +2" for the rear. I will also be changing the springs with Genunine HD fronts and rears which I have at home.

I will report back as to how I get on, but the new springs and shocks, plus the Superpro bushes I have just fitted should see the truch handling like new!

No Probs - just so you know, these are the +2" versions.

I'll pop them in the marketplace - let me know if you change your plans

F

I'm glad you say that, I currently experience this feeling occasionally.

I'm getting bilsteins on the front dampers, and a mate has offered me his barely used OMEs for the back.

When I got my Bilsteins, I fitted the rear ones first - this cured the rear-end bunny-hop-and-thump when driving over sunken full-road-width utility-trenches; the twitch-and-wrestle-with-the-steering-for-a-couple-of-seconds after dropping a front wheel into a pothole was cured by fitting the front pair.

Experimenting with pushing-and-pulling the original dampers compared to the Bilsteins, there was much more resistance noticeable on the Bilsteins - I guess the old ones must have suffered some internal wear of the valves (there was no sign of any oil leakage on them).

--Tanuki.

"Babies may look cute: just remember though that they grow up into evil-tempered half-ton

blubber-behemoths with fishy halitosis that can descale a kettle at 100 paces. Or is that

elephant seals I'm thinking of?"

Just removing my terrafima ones, they are shot. They have not even lasted 9 months. Terrible.

Start well but they don't last

Big bore ones one the back, have been changed before as they come off their top bush, as they have been poorly designed, with the top bush being bigger than the retaining washer, doh.

Luckily both times when the top mount bushes failed the shock did not take out the fuel filter assembly, as that would have been great fun.

Have gone for OME, as I can't be bothered pissing about and have sub standard kit.

Andy