Hand brake cable half snapped - where do I adjust?

Hi,

yesterday while applying my handbrake I heard a twang and now I have to have the lever at vertical to apply any handbrake. I had a quick look under the lever and 70% of the cable has snapped and what is left looks longer (hence the extra travel)

I'm on the case for ordering a new cable but I tried adjusting it yesterday with no success. I couldn't see any nut to undo on the back of the drum apart from one which seems to hold a y shaped clamp in place where the cable and the sleeve enter the drum.

I have seen people mention a 17-19mm spanner is required to tighten it up anti clockwise. The nut I saw yesterday was a 10mm one so definately not that one. Can someone please advise stoopit old me where I need to be looking.

thanks,

Heds

Sounds like you would be better off not using the hand brake for the moment and leaving her in gear when you stop, if two thirds of the cable has snapped I'd not want to trust what's left.

If you do want to adjust it though just use the adjuster behind the hand brake lever, you can do this while actually sitting in the drivers seat if the access panel under the centre seat/console is removed.

as yours is the same year as my 110, the adjuster is alongside the transferbox inside the park brake lever frame, bit of a pig to get spanners on, in my X-brake thread in the tech archive is a photo of the cable 7 frame hanging under my 110, during the removal to fit my x-brake.

not the most clear photo, but shows the 2 nuts at the upper end.

post-20-0-94003200-1310406961_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replies guys.

I'm not trusting the handbrake 100% and parking in gear on the flat and turning my wheels towards/away from kerb depending on the direction of the slope while I order a new cable...

@landroversforever I was trying to adjust on the drum as that </span>is where Haynes said the adjuster was but can['t see where it is

@CrazyWabbit & western: I will now whip the floor out and have a look from the comfort of my seat seeing as I'm still recovering from a double knee arthroscopy and kneeling on tarmac or crawling under the car isn't great fun ;-)

Next question..

My VIN is FA427xxx so I take the NRC5088 (Defender 1984 to vin LA93562) will be the right part. Should i go genuine or replacement? The last replacement cable I bought was a bonnet release and that just pulled straight out of the handle the first time I used it (of course this was AFTER I had fitted the damn thing. My old cable now sits cable tied to the front chassis rail...

I'm thinking genuine here!

Heds

The cable type changed about the time of the 300tdi and started to go straight into the drum, it is possible to have a newer type cable and drum on your Defender if for example you have had the transfer box swapped ... when I bought my replacement transfer box it came with a new transmission brake and cable, the hand brake end is still the same.

I'd be inclined to check which cable you have just to be 100% certain before ordering and I'd order a genuine when it comes to cables, I'm sure I read somewhere (think it was on Glencoynes site although I could be wrong) about the pattern ones failing early.

Is there an easy way of telling? I'm at the stage of ordering both and seeing which one fits then send the other back.

thanks,

The easiest way of telling is how the cable enters the drum, the attached pic is of the newer type. and you can see cable goes straight in, the older type has a bracket jobby that a picture was posted of further up this thread

You should be able to see that fairly clearly (for the new style anyway) through the access panel under the centre seat. hth

post-25689-0-55286700-1310477542_thumb.jpg

Edited by CwazyWabbit

Ah thanks,

I've got the newer type then as the cable goes straight into the drum. I take it the other thinner cable is the handbrake sensor wire?

I will whip the centre console off tonight if I get time and have a look, unfortunately work is heavy just now and I'm not getting home til near 10 otherwise I would have been able to take a better look than pester you with questions

thanks for your help,

Heds

I've never seen a sensor wire going to the drum, do you mean at the lever end?

There's a better picture of the old style cable connection on this pic nicked from ebay, you can see that the cable run is over the other side of the transfer box to. You can also see the 17-19mm adjuster that started the whole conversation :) No worries about all the questions ... the transmission brake was on the floor behind my office chair.... hmm I must tidy this place up a bit :blink:

post-25689-0-43717000-1310480604_thumb.jpg

Good pictures, thanks.

Mine is definatley the newer version as the cable goes directly into the drum and there is no bracket to be seen.

I do though have another thinner wire/cable (about 8mm diameter) going into the drum. Will get the inspection torch out tonight and take some pictures so I can better describe it. I will also whip off the center seat while I'm waiting for my physio appointment and look from that end as well (might as well make use of my time).

I prefer your office. All I have is two dead servers and an angry customer...

if the handbrake cable goes directly into the drum backplate then you have a 300tdi type transfer box, a previous owner has either replaced it or have you swapped to a later transfer box ???

the cable for your vehicle age should be the same as in my photo, with a fork end at the rear to connect to the expander link rod.

Ok, had a good look tonight and:

1) I have the later version where the cable goes directly into the drum. Previous owner must have put the later transfer box in.

2) There isn't a smaller cable, that goes into the transfer box, I just wasn't looking properly. (idiot)

Now, I need to open up the brake to fit a new cable so is there anything that I should replace while I'm in there?

I'm thinking new nuts/bolts for the propshaft as I have to take that off the output flange, new shoes,is there anything else while I'm at it?

thanks,

Heds

Ok, had a good look tonight and:

1) I have the later version where the cable goes directly into the drum. Previous owner must have put the later transfer box in.

2) There isn't a smaller cable, that goes into the transfer box, I just wasn't looking properly. (idiot)

Now, I need to open up the brake to fit a new cable so is there anything that I should replace while I'm in there?

I'm thinking new nuts/bolts for the propshaft as I have to take that off the output flange, new shoes,is there anything else while I'm at it?

thanks,

Heds

new nuts for prop & a good clean as suggesrted above :D

• 5 months later...

The damn thing has snapped again and there is no way I was pulling it too hard. I'm trying to find out whether I ordered a made of cheese Britpart item last time.

Definately time to go Original spec considering how much hassle it is to replace.