Attempted theft, now my ignition is bust...

Somebody attempted to steal my 90 last night from the Sheffield area. They failed, but because they snapped the steering locking mechanism in the ignition barrel, the key no longer turns. Can anybody recommend me the best course of action? If I buy a new barrel/keys, how do I remove the old one? Has anybody had this experience?

The lock assembly is held to the steering column by 2 x security bolts (the heads snap off when they are tightened). You can still undo them by using a centre punch/ sharpened screwdriver/ big nail, etc, and a hammer. The whole thing will then lift off the column. You can buy new security bolts or just use M8 coarse thread x 20mm(?) allen bolts. Make sure that the rectangular hole in the steering column hasn't been distorted, or the new lock may not work properly if it is.

Les.

I put this write up on a different forum a while back............

I recently replaced the whole ignition lock, fairly straightforward job - remove the top and bottom of the column shroud and pull back the indicator/hi beam switch gaiters towards the ends of the switches. Then remove the security bolts from the ignition lock - these fit from underneath into a recess and are tricky to get at. When fitted they tighten until the hex head breaks off making them tamperproof, which also makes them tricky to remove. So, I've read of different ways of removing them

1) Drill a hole up into the body of each bolt (2) and use a stud extractor. Never tried it as I know Id break the extractor in the bolt.........

2) Use a Dremel with a thin cutting disc to create a screwdriver slot and unscrew them. Never tried this either - no Dremel!

3) My method -

a)get a sharp centre punch and locate the sharp end of the punch as far off centre of the bolt as you can and keep it parrallel to the bolt - then hit it with a hammer - at this stage you are not trying to undo the bolt just trying to form a punch tip sized dent in the end of the bolt. Hit it a couple of times so there is a good sized dent that will assist in the next step

b) locate the punch in the dent you have just created and now lean the punch over so the point faces in the unscrew the bolt direction and tap the centre punch keeping it located in the dent. It should start to unscrew. The dent keeps the punch in the right place on the bolt.

It will probably only undo half a turn before you run out of room so create another dent and carry on tapping it round.

Do the same on the other bolt and eventually you will be able to turn them with needle nosed pliers or similar.

The bolts are underneath the steering column, and conveniently you are kneeling on the drive, head upside down, door keeps blowing closed on you, your specs keep falling off and the dog wants a pat..... etc etc...........

c)When the bolts are out wiggle the half round clamp from underneath and wiggle the lock assembly out from the top of the column. Don't pull too far as the wires will come off then you are stuffed..........

d)Hold the new one next to the old one and swap each wire over - best make a drawing cos you dont want to muddle them up. On the 300tdi there are 4 sepearate wires with spade terminals - no multi plug.........hence being stuffed........

e)Refit the lock on top of the column - you will feel the steering lock tab locate in its hole , fit the half round clamp from underneath, and refit with 2 normal bolts so its easier next time or dont tighten security bolts to the point of breaking the heads off. Yes I know it makes it easier to steal, but if someone has got that much dismantling done, they will have it away anyway..................

f)Start her up and check light indicators etc still work, cos you dont want to take the shroud etc off again.......ask me how I know......

g)Refit the shrouds and switch gaiters.

h) put the kettle on and award yourself a medal.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for reviving this thread. I recently removed the damaged ignition from the steering barrel. I drove the vehicle last night with no ignition, and the steering has become VERY heavy. I know that my steering box leaks, but this has only happened since the ignition incident.

Are there any bearings/joints that could have been damaged when I drove the vehicle home with the broken ignition barrel?

Could you have a bent shaft? oo-eerrr

When they trashed your steering lock could they have bent either the steering column itself or the bit it goes through and the ignition barrel clamps to? or alternatively could some carp have fallen between the two?

It's a while since I had to do some work on my ignition so memories are a little vague tbh.