LR Blue/Red or OME 751 Springs?

I am about to fit a heavy winch bumper (Gwyn Lewis Tubular affair) along with an 8274 onto the front of my 110.

It currently has yellow/yellow front springs which are tired, and due for replacement anyway, but with the additional weight of the bumper and winch I am wondering what to replace them with.

The vehicle has no suspension lift, and I do not want to have to change the rears too - I want a relatively standard ride height.

So, according to the accepted standard for all things LR spring related the defender HD springs are blue/red and yellow/white, which are around 225 lb/in.

The other option that has been suggested to me is Old Man Emu 751's which are around 230lb/in.

They both have very similar free lengths, so I wondered if anyone had any opinions on the two - particularly on the real world amount of lift provided by the spring - or if there were another options?

Cheers

Mark

Ralph - what are you running on the rear? I know your truck is reasonably heavily loaded, whilst mine is either virtually empty, or has a 90 on a trailer on the back! Planning to stick with the brown/purples on the rear (albeit new ones)...

Dave - good call. They look like a good option.

Will see what I can pick up - I suspect the Gen. LR ones will be cheaper than the OME, although if my experience trying to get new std rears is anything to go by, they are not that much cheaper...

ta

Mark

I have just put the LR Red/Blue and Yellow/White spings on the front of my 110 which sports a Warn M9000i and Mantec bumber with A Bar.

It raised the truch approx 1.5" and, along with HD spings on the rear, now sits level. I am hoping they will settle a little to drop .5" or so

Ben - Having fitted the different height springs to the front, has it made any difference? I know that is how they were supposed to be but I thought td5 vehicles did away with the 2 springs, and just used the same on each side? Also, which springs are you referring to by HD on the rear?

Cheers

Mark

Ralph - what are you running on the rear? I know your truck is reasonably heavily loaded, whilst mine is either virtually empty, or has a 90 on a trailer on the back! Planning to stick with the brown/purples on the rear (albeit new ones)...

Dave - good call. They look like a good option.

Will see what I can pick up - I suspect the Gen. LR ones will be cheaper than the OME, although if my experience trying to get new std rears is anything to go by, they are not that much cheaper...

ta

Mark

I have 754's on the rear IIRC.

my OME spring came from Surrey offroad Chris Bashall.

Mark,

TD5's may now have a matched pair, these were brand new 90 rears which are the older HD front. Only driven it 4 miles and it felt a lot less lurchy in the corners. The HD rears are a set of 3500kgs rated springs, cannot remember their codes but will have a look tomorrow .

I have an xd 9000, winch bumper and steering guard on the front of my 110, front sagged and the ride felt sloppy.

I Put the LR Red/Blue and Yellow/White springs on and it transformed the handling and gave a slight lift.

Best bit is they cost £15 at sodbury last year, brand new never fitted.

I would think you could get Bearmach/Allmakes versions cheapish, though Genuine aren't too bad price wise.

OME in my opinion are overpriced.

As for the rear, HD's are going to be hard unless you run loaded all the time, I'm going to try TD5 station wagon progressives when I find some cheap.

• 6 months later...

Bringing this back to the top, rather than start a new thread...

Can anyone give me a part number for the green/yellow/red progressive springs?

I'm also intrigued by the last comment about TD5 station wagon progressives... Any more information available?

It seems that an awful lot of these springs aren't recorded on any of the LR spring bibles. The reference to green/yellow/red springs for example gives details that they are rear 90 HD springs...

I'm also considering the pink/purple progressives as shown for the Range Rover EFI. Anyone have any experience of these? They seem to be a good spring rate but may be a little too tall even with a bit of extra weight on the front...

Ta

Adrian

Good.

You'll see I didn't comment on my front springs.

I don't have a winch. I run yellow/ yellow on both sides at the front with Discovery TD5 spring isolators fitted.

My dealer suggested that the heavy duty would be too heavy duty for me but would be ideal with a winch fitted.

I now have the (brown/purple) TD5 station wagon rears on mine with the load leveller removed.

Rear now sits up to match the raise the H/D fronts give.

Handling superb, shows up my worn dampers now.

These springs cost £10 at sodbury in fairly new condition, so along with the £15 the fronts cost, thats's a cheap and effective suspension upgrade.

Sod spending £100 on OME to get the same result.

Armstrong if you want cheap.. Koni heavy tracks if you want to do it properly

these koni heavy tracks, could i use these with blue/green & blue/yellow on the front, green/yellow/red & green/yellow/white on the rear, on my d90, that's got heavy bumper & winch, would the sockers be stanard, or are they lifted, :unsure: :unsure: dd

these koni heavy tracks, could i use these with blue/green & blue/yellow on the front, green/yellow/red & green/yellow/white on the rear, on my d90, that's got heavy bumper & winch, would the sockers be stanard, or are they lifted, :unsure: :unsure: dd

konis are available in standard and +2 lengths, they'd work with any springs and are ajustable, worth every penny in my book.