Engine mount brackets

MD Engineering great service and cheap 25 quid each with fitting instructions, just done it myself. Look them up on Internet can't remember phone number off hand

Richards’s chassis also do them if you give them a call; I got some for a 300tdi.

Can’t remember what I paid for them but it was not much and they were delivered quickly.

Regards

Frax ;)

Gents thanks for all the replies,

Are we talking the same thing here?

The LR series pic looks like the part that bolts to the engine, not the part that welds to the chassis.

I have been wrong before though..,

Cheers chaps.

Richards sorted me out, £20 for the pair :D

I am after some as well. This is the email i sent to beamends:

Hi, read on LR4x4 forum, you are able to supply a set of left and right v8 engine to chassis mounts, together with fitting instructions for a Landrover Defender. Would this be correct? If so, how would i go about getting some? How much and who do i pay?

Cheers John Singleton

Reply came back today:

Hello John,

Right I have checked and yes we can still supply the defender v8 mounts (the ones that actually go to chassis) they arent supplied with instrustions but realistically you have the choice of either weliding them in place or perhaps bolting them up as the mounts do have x3 bolt holes that may line up with the chassis rails?

Price wise you are looking at £33 + vat each and they would take 3 days to arrive with us as we could have to order from Land Rover. As for posting them out the worst case scenario they would have to be posted via carrier due to weight but we always send the cheapest way so dont worry about that too much.

Hope this helps, Thanks Don @ Beamends

Needless to say i shall be contacting Richards first thing in the morning.

• 12 years later...

Hi, does anyone have the specs for the alignment of the R380? I have a Richards V8 chassis with a Discovery V8 bellhousing to a R380 gearbox. I am trying all sorts of brackets to line up the gearbox to allow clearance for the handbrake housing..

BTW, my plan is to mate engine and boxes, attach the chassis mounts to the engine and then hoist the whole assembly in and mark up where the engine mounts go on the chassis with the gearbox mounts in place. Then hoist it back out and weld it up. That way I'll have it all lined up properly. 

Probably.

By the way, with wings off and the whole front exposed, would it be possible/safe to weld it with the engine in situ? No electrics connected, obviously. I'll be using MIG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junglie said:

BTW, my plan is to mate engine and boxes, attach the chassis mounts to the engine and then hoist the whole assembly in and mark up where the engine mounts go on the chassis with the gearbox mounts in place. Then hoist it back out and weld it up. That way I'll have it all lined up properly. 

Probably.

By the way, with wings off and the whole front exposed, would it be possible/safe to weld it with the engine in situ? No electrics connected, obviously. I'll be using MIG.

No issues welding with the engine and box there, just the usual make sure the earth lead is as close to the weld as possible to minimise any risk of bits on the engine seeing the current. I'd also suggest having at least one wing on to make sure you've got enough clearance and the engine/box are all sat in the chassis properly. If possible I'd get the mounts welded enough to have the engine and gearbox sat in there without the engine crane etc supporting it so you can throw bonnet/wings etc on to check for clearance. (assuming you've already got the bulkhead on).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Defender boxes? If so then unless it's a stumpy R380, the Defender R380 is longer than the Defender LT77.

(Bangs head against desk)

Does it ever stop?

So for clarity, are the gearbox mounts in a different place for an R380 and LT77? Mine is, as far as I know, a standard R380 and definitely for a Defender. Does this mean that the V8 will now be too far forward to fit properly?

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

No issues welding with the engine and box there, just the usual make sure the earth lead is as close to the weld as possible to minimise any risk of bits on the engine seeing the current. I'd also suggest having at least one wing on to make sure you've got enough clearance and the engine/box are all sat in the chassis properly. If possible I'd get the mounts welded enough to have the engine and gearbox sat in there without the engine crane etc supporting it so you can throw bonnet/wings etc on to check for clearance. (assuming you've already got the bulkhead on).

Well that's something at least, thanks. Bulkhead isn't coming off (unless it falls off when I remove the wings, in which case I guess I'll know I need some more bits...)

5 minutes ago, Junglie said:

(Bangs head against desk)

Does it ever stop?

The stumpy R380 is designed as a drop-in replacement for a Defender LT77. So they're the same length, and therefore shorter than a Discovery and Defender R380 which is the same length, but the sticks come up in different places. Plus Disco hihg/low lever is in front of the main stick, behind it on the defender version. 

So I make my R380 to be 235mm front to rear faces. It came already bolted to an appropriate bell housing for a V8 and with the LT230 attached at the back.

I can't actually find dimensions anywhere online (though they're probably really obviously available) so can you tell me if this is a stumpy or regular?