A couple of MSA Cage Questions!

simonr

Negative! 'Radically altered'. Not to mention the bulkhead outriggers that need adjusting to fit the new bodywork.

IVA required.

Unless of course it's a TV show .... 4x4 is born anyone? I don't remember an IVA being done ... or were the rules different back when they made it?

Comeing from the KitCar side of things into the 4x4 scene we always had close contact with VOSA and I have to agree with simonr, a chassis is from the front to the back inclusive of any overhang from the axles. Basicly if you alter any part or even weld a patch over a hole in the chassis legally it needs to be retested and a MOT inspector can if he wants, refuse to test it and can report it to VOSA. At the end of the day they are closeing in on all 4x4's

Shhhhh, and through the back door from VOSA (whisper :D ) they are looking at making all 4x4's class7 MOT from 2012

At the end of the day they are closeing in on all 4x4's

Are they though?

It's been touted on forums as such for many years but I don't see much evidence. We don't get many (any?) 'I've been pulled over by VOSA and told I need an IVA' threads, despite the huge number of contributors to this site.

I'm not disputing the need/legality, just the overall enforcement.

gigglepins new challenge truck is on an 11 plate

hence it must be a new vehicle, all new landrover defenders are classed as commercial vehicles so wouldn't it be easier to build a new one ala gigglepins motor and be all square?

100" cages, challenge wings, etc etc etc

If it was built BY Land Rover with an MSA spec cage and submitted for type approval as such - then yes, certainly.

If the cage has been added or replaced with something different then, referring to the answer from VOSA:

I've had a call back from VOSA - with some good news! They say that welding a safety cage to the vehicle is OK so long as it is a requirement of the MSA (or other regulating body) and ONLY the safety cage with nothing else attached to it other than harness mounting points - as they are part of the safety system.

Challenge wings, lights, waffles, shock absorbers, curry hooks - anything which is not specifically related to the safety of the occupants is subject to IVA.

[/Quote]

Then, likewise it will be fine.

AFAIK, even 11 plate Commercial Defenders are not generally supplied with even a cage, never mind an MSA Spec cage. I've just had a look on LR's site and there does not appear to be the option for a cage on Defenders.

In conclusion, a challenge truck built out of a brand new Defender will have to comply with exactly the same rules as any other Defender, commercial or otherwise - as far as I can see.

Are you saying that because it's built by Gigglepin, it's the same as if LR had built it like that in the factory or that Gigglepin have an exemption from VOSA's regulations & IVA?

Si

Are you saying that because it's built by Gigglepin, it's the same as if LR had built it like that in the factory or that Gigglepin have an exemption from VOSA's regulations & IVA?

It "could" have been built and IVA tested with a declaration as a "new" vehicle, which would allow it to be registered with todays age related plate. It is my belief that you can use a second hand engine as long as you still have, I think, 8 points from other new components. I'm not sure if that means you have to pay new car tax too.

This is however a deviation from your original question.

It "could" have been built and IVA tested with a declaration as a "new" vehicle, which would allow it to be registered with todays age related plate. It is my belief that you can use a second hand engine as long as you still have, I think, 8 points from other new components. I'm not sure if that means you have to pay new car tax too.

This is however a deviation from your original question.

So, actually, you're still no better off than modifying an existing vehicle and having to put it through IVA - except that you have to pay more tax?

That sounds a bit of a 'hard of thinking' way of going about it!

Si

Back on topic, my current plan is to make an internal B post hoop with rear stays welded to the chassis plus an external cage to an MSA drawing but bolted through the roof to the internal hoop. This will be bolted to the outriggers in as MSA compliant way as possible. Side bars can clamp to the chassis rails and these can support the rear part of the external cage which will be there more to protect the bodywork than the occupants.

This seems to be a reasonable compromise between MSA and VOSA's rules. The external cage, not being welded and thus not part of the protection system can have whatever I like welded to it!

Si

So, actually, you're still no better off than modifying an existing vehicle and having to put it through IVA - except that you have to pay more tax?

That sounds a bit of a 'hard of thinking' way of going about it!

Si

it it was built and classified as N1 then its quite cheaper road tax!

sounds a much better way of getting a vehicle through all the hoops whilst keeping vosa / DOT / DVLA sweet

there maybe a legal way of building a 100" defender after all