transit in series 3

joew

hi im thinking about fitting a ford transit engine in my series 3 diesel. ive enquired about a conversion kit,they mentioned that the bulkhead needs modifying. Does anyone have any info on this? Would the exhaust system be big enough? Its a non-turbo out of a 2001 LDV mini-bus (it has the "up & over" inlet manifold.Thanks for any info you might have.

I've seen a couple of transit engine conversions. Discussions a few years ago were that it's a bluddy awful thing to do - loads of vibration, power in the wrong place, worse-than-a-tractor engine noise. The timing belt case is plastic, and isn't waterproof anyway. I towed one abou 3-miles once so that it could be recovered - muddy water got in the timing case and threw the belt. Usual L/R-type engine damage if the belt goes - bent pushrods, and a rocker or two snap.

When this engine is fitted in a lighter vehicle it becomes harsh, so slipping the clutch becomes a bad habit in order to get a smooth drive.

Les.

I assume you are thinking of the old Transit 2.5 DI engine.

As Les has said, it's a pretty horrendous engine to bung in a poor old Landy. NVH levels will be appalling, your fillings will likely fall out, and anything not done up tight will fall off the truck. The rear view mirror will be one big blur. :lol:

I was unfortunate enough to drive a RRC fitted with this engine, plus a turbo stuck onto it. This engine would make a Tdi sound and drive as smooth as a V8 by comparison.

There are many better diesel engines to use in a Series Landy. The Montego 2 litre turbo diesel was popular at one time, and actually not a bad conversion. Remember we are comparing this with a series 2.25D.

Trouble is I can't imagine there are many Montys or Sherpa vans left to scavenge such an engine from :unsure:

There was a short write up by someone who has done this in LRO mag. May 2004. Seems the bulkhead mod. is to clear the rear of the standard exhaust manifold, which will also connect to the series exhaust. Said he was well pleased with it, 25-30mpg. and 70mph. cruising. (originally 2.25 petrol)

There was a short write up by someone who has done this in LRO mag. May 2004. Seems the bulkhead mod. is to clear the rear of the standard exhaust manifold, which will also connect to the series exhaust. Said he was well pleased with it, 25-30mpg. and 70mph. cruising. (originally 2.25 petrol)

So, lower mpg than a Tdi, similar speeds (limited by gearing rather than engine performance) and a lot more custom fabrication... or you can stick to a well trodden path of fitting a robust, reliable and far easier to install Discovery 200Tdi engine (with Defender manifolds and turbo if going into a 109) which has the additional benefits of having the power and torque where you need them, being water tight, not needing a mating kit, using almost all standard parts (just the hoses need alteration) and being easily serviced or supplied by any LR agent that you already use for other parts. I know which is the better option.

I'm just back from holiday with my TDi'd 88...just thought I'd throw this in to backup Snaggers point...I took the tatnav with me everywhere, had the tank brimmed just as we left and then brimmed it again as soon as I got back, and it came back at 40.64mpg...superb performance from motorway, A-roads, B-roads, and a couple of short runs...

Stick with the LandRover engine mate!

travveling down the M6 last weekend in the series from Wigan to home, i averaged over 70, no problems, comfortably, and with a good MPG (there is quite a bit of soundproofing, coiler diffs, an overdrive and metro seats)

I'm just back from holiday with my TDi'd 88...just thought I'd throw this in to backup Snaggers point...I took the tatnav with me everywhere, had the tank brimmed just as we left and then brimmed it again as soon as I got back, and it came back at 40.64mpg...superb performance from motorway, A-roads, B-roads, and a couple of short runs...

Stick with the LandRover engine mate!

mine will average 35.something MPG on the motorway but thats probably because its rather tuned.

i was getting some funny looks, overtook a TD5 disco, a 300 disco and was cruising along with a ford thunder pickup :D

Driving a wolf in sheep's clothing, you always get some amusing looks. That's what I used to love about my 88" V8 - it looked like a very standard Series Landy, but it didn't half go :ph34r:

People just don't expect you to move that quick, and get quite a surprise when you fly past them