Wheel Spacers

tuko

I'm in the market for a set of wheel spacers and have noticed that there are more sellers offering 2 wheel spacers instead of the typical 4.

So this has me wondering is there a specific need for all 4? If only 2 were used on the front axle I do realize that the rear tires wouldn't follow directly in the same track, but is there any real disadvantage of just using 2 instead of 4?

Thinking out loud, do I really need 4?

Todd.

Your Landy will look quite odd with only 2 spacers fitted, Todd. I suppose it all boils down to whether you mind people pointing and chuckling behind their hands ;) It's not a common practice here.

HTH

Mo

You need 0.

Daan

Daan,

I would like to think that but I'm having rubbing issues with the 265's on RR 3 spoke rims now. You can clearly see in the below image where the tire is coming in contact on the frame.

post-194-0-73586700-1312791613_thumb.jpg

My new 255/85's are approx the same width as the 265's so I'm of the mind that they will to rub in the same location therefore the idea of wheel spacers. I could be wrong though. :blink:

Todd.

I expect the tramlining effect on motorways to be much worse with just 2 fitted -like having a trailer which is a different track width to the tow vehicle.

Personally I would just get some decent wheels with a suitable offset and not bother with spacers at all.

Your Landy will look quite odd with only 2 spacers fitted, Todd. I suppose it all boils down to whether you mind people pointing and chuckling behind their hands ;) It's not a common practice here.

HTH

Mo

Mo,

I was a member of another forum that you may know of, already use to that. :hysterical: :hysterical:

Daan,

I would like to think that but I'm having rubbing issues with the 265's on RR 3 spoke rims now. You can clearly see in the below image where the tire is coming in contact on the frame.

post-194-0-73586700-1312791613_thumb.jpg

My new 255/85's are approx the same width as the 265's so I'm of the mind that they will to rub in the same location therefore the idea of wheel spacers. I could be wrong though. :blink:

Todd.

I would change the wheels for ones with more offset if that were the case. there is no weight saving with the landrover alloys, and the spacers add ridiculous weight and reduce reliability. I severely hate spacers for many reasons, but mainly the ones mentioned.

There is a distinct advantage to only fitting two spacers - you will then only have the risk of having two wheels come adrift at the most inconvenient moment thus exactly halving your risk of dying in a fireball.

I'm with Daan and Bowie - get wheels with the correct offset. Spacers are just an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I've decided to remove the winter tires from the Wolf rims and I'll be installing the 255's on them. The Wolf rims will move the tires outwards by 2 cm this should be plenty for me.;)

Todd.