Removing CVs from halfshafts?

As described in the workshop manual, fix half shaft in a vice with suitable protection from damage, then get a large mallet, lead or copper and lamp the back of the CV joint. The half shaft stays located by use of a circular type split ring. So its kind of a push/pull fit - you can see it on the end of the shaft below.

post-20087-0-91871400-1312804627_thumb.jpg

Mav

Sometimes I have got away with holding said half shaft vertically in one hand, while giving the CV a sharp blow towards the floor with a copper mallet in the other hand.

Make sure you have something soft for the CV to land on, and be careful that isn't your feet :lol:

Split rings should be OK to re-use so long as you don't damage it.

Sometimes I have got away with holding said half shaft vertically in one hand, while giving the CV a sharp blow towards the floor with a copper mallet in the other hand.

Make sure you have something soft for the CV to land on, and be careful that isn't your feet :lol:

Split rings should be OK to re-use so long as you don't damage it.

Agreed :rolleyes: - watch your toes!

I have tried beating the sh!t out of it persuading it off with the copper and hide mallets... But it has not succeeded in getting the blighters off :unsure:!

If the joint is straight.... the central spider of the joint that I want to hit is below the level of the cage. I assume its not OK to attack the cage with the mallet?

Help!

I think it's the luck of the draw Ross, cos on mine I had to beat the CVs like hell to get them off and explained to a mate we'd need to do the same on his. However on his one sharp tap with a lump hammer and they both came off easily!

hmmm... I'll just have to keep at it this evening! Did it need one large hit to move it or lots of smaller ones?

The ones I had to remove required multiple hits, with increasing intensity, to come off. Not sure it was a matter of hitting it hard enough or a combination of all the hits.

Forget the copper/hide mallet, get alump hammer on it, the steel is VERY hard here, you may mark it, but you won't break it....

If you can find some way of holding the shaft tight all the better, you kind of need to 'shock' the clip out the groove.

SUCCESS!!!

With the help of a Record No25 and a larger soft faced hammer, the CVs were shifted :D. Broke both of the clips during removal :P, one was in 3 pieces, the other 2!

Onwards with the axle build tonight then :D.

I should have a sit down now then Ross. ;)

SUCCESS!!!

With the help of a Record No25 and a larger soft faced hammer, the CVs were shifted :D. Broke both of the clips during removal :P, one was in 3 pieces, the other 2!

Onwards with the axle build tonight then :D.

Blimey - bravo, sounds like you had a pair of stubborn ones!