Unimog Axles

BlackMamba

Ah - well, that's more like it. It doesn't matter though - you can find portals to cope with the power - just get them from a bigger Mog! If the axle weight worries you, do a hybrid axle with portal boxes and a lighterweight centre section - a Ford 9" is nice and light, for example.

A 6 ltr V8 can be coped with - I'm currently putting together a truck with a Chevy LS-x - so same situation. The 404s will be marginal on it if I use big tyres, but I'm gonna suck it and see. I've got some Mog 416s too, so I guess I'll put together some Mog9s if the 404s 'head south'. It's not hard to find something that'll cope.

Sorry - I thought you meant 'Oz' in general, I know Sam is mostly rocks - mind you Tough Truck isn't exactly pure rockcrawling... Yeah. I dunno about winch challenges in Oz specifically...?

Al. :)

Al

Jules is going to lend Andy (moglite) a vid for him to copy , get a copy off him. It makes really good watching of what they are up to in Aus. Totally differant to uk ie longer wheel base is better than a 90's . The 90 would be far too short for out here

BTW have a look at some of the mags i lent Andy

If that's all, what's the supercharger for...? :huh:

500 is almost standard - few basic mods see that easily on a 5.7L.

If you're gonna pay out on an s-chgr, aim higher. B) Al.

Oh i will plan too.

I am a diesel person and have been most of my time in the UK , but there is no room for Diesel here :lol:

So the V8 and all this stuff is new to me :huh:

500hp isnt a prob - I'd be more worried about getting it through registration over there if you did put portals on. If the second placed rugby players (couldnt waste that opportunity - soz :lol: ) wont let you play then you're left with big Danas and a lot of moneys worth of internals............ there is the other way of course - go ultra light, less power needed, less axle required...

500hp isnt a prob - I'd be more worried about getting it through registration over there if you did put portals on. If the second placed rugby players (couldnt waste that opportunity - soz :lol: ) wont let you play then you're left with big Danas and a lot of moneys worth of internals............ there is the other way of course - go ultra light, less power needed, less axle required...

mmm well Mog Rover lives around the corner from me , so i feel a chat coming on :)

Al

Jules is going to lend Andy (moglite) a vid for him to copy , get a copy off him. It makes really good watching of what they are up to in Aus. Totally differant to uk ie longer wheel base is better than a 90's . The 90 would be far too short for out here

BTW have a look at some of the mags i lent Andy

Yeah, from what I've seen SWB is defo too short. Mine is coming out at 100", to be honest a "few more inches wouldn't hurt", but I kinda like having a short one...

Andy - you have your orders! Fire up the burner.

As Jez says, it's debatable whether or not such levels of power are required, or even useful under those circumstances. I'm constantly deciding NOT to go for bits n bobs on the engine to keep the output sane and preserve the rest of the car. I'd stay naturally aspirated unless you're really looking at over the 600+ mark, to be honest, and if you are, you'll need to put more 'thought' into your axles, and (obviously) forget about ANYTHING that is even painted the same colour as something which once came from Solihull.

When I say 'thought', you should read: 'money'.

It might be cheap-ish to build an engine like that (relatively), but building the rest of the truck to match (and not ending up with a Sherman Tank, or something weighing more than Mr From Hell's truck (duck)), is gonna force the cost up too. So an engine mod has costs in the rest of the car...

Al.

mmm

BTW in Aus, well where i am , Portals are no real use (from what i can see at the moment, but i am going to a Winch challenge at Cruser Park the weekend after next, and i will be able to find out better there, but at the moment none of them are running portals.) , we have dust not mud so there are not some many ruts that need the clearance of the portals.

If you want to see terrain where portals are of real use take a trip down to Victoria where you can barely move on 35 inch tyres with straight axles. Quite a few of the serious lads are regularly out there digging ruts on hills with 38'' tyres , rain makes the ruts deeper. I can't afford to buy larger and larger tyres every couple of seasons, and at any rate 36'' are the maximum legal diameter here, so portals make a lot of sense. The only setup that equalled my portals for sheer mobility was when I used to run 35 spline Salisbury rear, 24 spline Salisbury front. with duall wheels all round. The outer wheels were 35'' TSL's the inner wheels were 32 '' 7.50x16' Bar Grips. due to the very narrow inner wheel track width of 41'' rear and 49'' front, the cross axle ramp angle was very steep as the diffs were very close to the right hand side inner wheel...Combined with a rear wheel track of 65'' and a front of 73'' there wasn't a set of wheel ruts anywhere that would catch the truck out. In fact, applying the "V'' belt in a groove principal ,deep ruts on steep, slippery and otherwise impassable hills were used as a source of extra traction rather than something to be avoided. Now all I have to do is make up a set of inner duall wheels that will fit right over my portal boxes and I can die a happy man.

Bill.

OK so what you are saying is that in a 6 ltr V8 (with supercharger) in a Rangie challenge truck. weighing 2.5 ton. you could put portals on and 44' tyres and then do dounuts on tarmac with all tyre lite up and not break the axels. Same thing deep in mud with all 4 wheels stuck.

There used to be a vid on pirate like that but try as i might i carn't find it.

I think it was someone from exact proving a point about mogs strength.

It featured a rock buggy on 404's and 44" boggers with a big block chev in it doing donuts on tarmac for about 3-4 mins untill the one of the tyres exploded.

But once again you are missing the point or moving the target to suit your ends.

If you consider a challenge spec 90" tdi on 35's, will absolutely destroy rover axles and even with all the toys they are still vunerable to damage, But if you put mog's or volvo's under this truck they will be unbreakable.

There used to be a vid on pirate like that but try as i might i carn't find it.

I think it was someone from exact proving a point about mogs strength.

It featured a rock buggy on 404's and 44" boggers with a big block chev in it doing donuts on tarmac for about 3-4 mins untill the one of the tyres exploded.

But once again you are missing the point or moving the target to suit your ends.

If you consider a challenge spec 90" tdi on 35's, will absolutely destroy rover axles and even with all the toys they are still vunerable to damage, But if you put mog's or volvo's under this truck they will be unbreakable.

i had a 90 TDi wicnh challenge truck and in my mind had the strongest axel you could get using landy axels. But i never broke them in an event. But that was with a Diesel. But jules has never broken his in a challenge event ither, and he runs a 4.2 in his 90. But i see what you meen with the mogs. But if i was still running a diesel 90 i would still stick with the landy axels i had

Ali, you're in danger of going round in a circle here...

Breakable:

I would like to say i prided my self on knowing the limits of my old 90. I could push it to the limit with out breaking it. But knew that beyond that point it would break .
Unbreakable:
But i never broke them in an event. But that was with a Diesel. But jules has never broken his in a challenge event ither,

:huh::huh::huh::ph34r:

FFS....

Nothing is unbreakable, it only takes poor maintenance, no oil/grease etc etc etc - something could fail.

But, in loose terms, mog or volvo portals are so much stronger than any uprated rover cased axle, they were designed from day one to be proper, not from a legacy of Rover SALOON cars.

So are portals needed in the current UK scene, probably NO - yet. Its a numbers game, currently I can think of 5 members on here who are portaled up, this number will grow - its evolution - if it didnt then we would all still be on 750 sats thinking a SU conversion on an 8 was a major mod, accept that over time, portals will find more favour, certain challenges will get harder - its progression thats all. Hopefully they will introduce a class system for the comps, that way us mere mortals can still join in on some of the fun!

And as for cheque book off roading - fair play if they are getting the end result, I personally work 50+ hours per week, run a off road centre, many evening in the workshop and still look after the mrs and 2 kids - whats it cost me - sleep - thats all - get used to it eventually!

Just that one post you say you basically had to learn to drive your truck so that things don't break, then you say you never broke an axle in an event. Breaking a few bits before an event just to find the limit kinda defeats the point IMHO. A bit like saying "I redlined the engine till it exploded, then used that to set the rev limiter on the new engine I had to buy" :huh:

The point I think others are making is that if rover axles were that strong then you wouldn't need to drive differently to avoid breaking them.

Not having a dig, just seemed like a strange argument.

To the discussion in general - does anyone need half of the mods on their truck? Most of the time you could get most places without most of the mods, it's that last few percent that takes the extra stuff to do. Like racing, you can get 95% of the way on 5% of the effort - then the last 5% takes the remaining 95%.

All I seem to read about is comps, comps, comps. Is that what offroading in Britain has come to ?

Don't people build vehicles up to use on extended trips into wild country anymore? I could care less whether a winch challenge or any other form of offroad motor sport bans portals. I built my vehicle for family weekend trips into the high country, where the only competition is between my truck, myself and the condition of the tracks that nature is continually modifying in an attempt to inhibit my progress. Our government is gradually closing down many tracks in areas handy to Melbourne, so eventually we will be forced to travel further afield or participate in comps to have a bit of fun Thankfully it is still possible to travel to wild remote areas where one may only see one or two other vehicles in a whole days challenging driving in conditions where high mobility, high reliabilty and self sufficiency are paramount. While these opportunities are still available to me I say sod the comps with all their restrictions on what modifications I can or cannot do to my own vehicle.

Bill.

Just that one post you say you basically had to learn to drive your truck so that things don't break, then you say you never broke an axle in an event. Breaking a few bits before an event just to find the limit kinda defeats the point IMHO. A bit like saying "I redlined the engine till it exploded, then used that to set the rev limiter on the new engine I had to buy" :huh:

The point I think others are making is that if rover axles were that strong then you wouldn't need to drive differently to avoid breaking them.

Not having a dig, just seemed like a strange argument.

Nah jon .

What i mean is that you have to drive within the limits of your truck, depending on what you have on the truck. i broke a half shaft on the rear so i put maxi stuff in and never broke one of them again . The original CV's we in that 90 the day i bought it to the day i sold it.

I have not been reading the last few pages just scaned them.

Thanks to all for your info I think I have everything I could possibly need to know to sort portals on my truck.

But that will not be till mid next year now due to other stuff and bills to pay :(

Jim still has my 2006 season first round DVD but I have not phoned him with my address for him to send it back to me (I must get round to doing that)

Andy did you pick up the black box thing that Mr Hayens dropped off for you.

Ali what are you up to you, Your sounding like Mark with his Yank 440 V8 with blower and nos 125 kit. I still think even the yank axles he is useing will struggle to hold all that power in and its only on 12,50's.

I recon the tyres will melt with his driving on tarmac.. :wacko:

This crapy Laptop I can't get the spell check to work when posting...

Sorry to all for getting a cob with O/T comments

All I seem to read about is comps, comps, comps. Is that what offroading in Britain has come to ?

Don't people build vehicles up to use on extended trips into wild country anymore? Bill.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: you ever been to the uk :lol::lol::lol:

as a pom now living in Brisbane , there is no real chance of doing any extended trips in the UK, (Europe maybe), you can do most trips in a week or weekend In UK and Europe you can be secnce as an outcast by just having a 4x4. it is not like Aus where you just hith up the trailer and off you go for a week, weekend or year. Belive me i have just done 36000k's around aus and you could never do that in Europe and do so much off roading as i have done

Don't people build vehicles up to use on extended trips into wild country anymore?

Bill.

There is an ever decreasing amount of the UK that you can use a 4x4 on. They are even trying to ban us from the black top!

Oh this is such fun.......

How do i hug first...??

Portals are stronger than Most manufactures axles...............Period

Whether you choose to bolt, weld or tie thme on to your truck is YOUR choice........

IF we all used truck cab 90's fitted with 35 simex and a safari snorkel, i would grow bored and die before reaching the end of the first day! :huh:

Letting people have there head and devlop, for good or for bad, is the way forwrd.

Irrespective of my own personal opinions, I strongly belive that this has to be done if only so we all can find out what happens.

I do not agree that Portals are better than beams, or vice versa, or that Independant Suspension iis the answer to all my problems.....

But i do agree that all should allowed to play in every event head to head, so each can show of there merits :D

So what is the problem???

Or is it I, thats missed the point....??

Jim :rolleyes:

Ps: Pete, can't wait for the AFC, you poofing it? or camping??

Don't people build vehicles up to use on extended trips into wild country anymore? I could care less whether a winch challenge or any other form of offroad motor sport bans portals. I built my vehicle for family weekend trips into the high country, where the only competition is between my truck, myself and the condition of the tracks that nature is continually modifying in an attempt to inhibit my progress. Our government is gradually closing down many tracks in areas handy to Melbourne, so eventually we will be forced to travel further afield or participate in comps to have a bit of fun Thankfully it is still possible to travel to wild remote areas where one may only see one or two other vehicles in a whole days challenging driving in conditions where high mobility, high reliabilty and self sufficiency are paramount. While these opportunities are still available to me I say sod the comps with all their restrictions on what modifications I can or cannot do to my own vehicle.

Bill.

In the UK you will struggle to find anywere remote anymore

Comps are the only place you can realy play hard without being procicuted for it (unless you own you own farm)

Clubs that don't compete have a tread lightly policy as it the only way we can drive in the conrty side with out a greeny complaints(which they still do anyway) and we will probibly loss the right to do that in the next few years.

In the UK you are evil if you drive a 4x4 near a city,town,village or field :blink: .

The press are masivly anti 4x4's and the people who drive them.