Chrome plating on plastic

Eightpot

Nope, I'm not getting a roonymobile, it's not LR related, though it does make the mind wander... has anyone had any experience with replating the chrome on plastic, or using vacuum metalising, or even a spray on 'chrome'??

I need to help my dad refinish the grill on his car - replacements are over £400 - and trying to find a cost effective way - had quotes for £200 for chrome plating and £100 for vacuum metalising, seems a bit steep though, looking for a 50 quid option..

I'd normally give that a bash, but not on a £400 grille - would look better if I glued tin foil on smile.gif

ive used that ''chrome spray'' on a light fitting and it supprisingly good (although no good for a grill that will be subjected to all sorts on the road)

if you can get the tin foil to look better , probably the cheapest option :-)

but if the grill is £400 and you can get it done for £100 thats £300 in his pocket seams ok to me

There is supposed to be a good professional quality chrome spray, but needs to be applied with a paintgun, so by the time the paints been bought and someone's painted it up for me it's not going to be cheap either, and still not sure it would stand up to stone chips and the elements.

This vacuum metalising thing seems to be the way forward, just need to find a company that can do small orders at a reasonable cost - we got fleeced on the grill from a skanky ebay seller, so are already down quite a bit of cash.

Try again, don't know ehere the last reply wandered off to....

Humbrol do a polishable enamel that is almost as good as chrome. Used it last year on a model P47 and it really does polish up quite well. maybe with a coat of laquer on top it would survive road use. Mind you it only seems to come in 25ml pots at about £2 a pop...