Bigger intercooler

I am going to fit a bigger intercooler on my 200 tdi & need to put more pipe work to make it fit. Will this mean a loss of pressure to the turbo or will I be able to compensate it by adjusting the waste gate a touch.????? Any help would be greatfully received . Andy

You will probably find that it will increase lag a bit. Adjusting the waste gate won't help in this respect as that just determins how much boost it holds. Your issue is what happens before it gets to boost pressure. A big intercooler is great for mid to high end performance but a direct replacement/same sized one that is more efficient at cooling would be better for low end power improvements.

Steve

hmmm, so obviously needs for each driver are slightly different,

if i bought a mid sized intercooler, would that improve top end a little, (dont need top end too often but sometimes is used)

but it would also help with the lower end, (obviously slightly more lag) and for towing and the likes?

its just made me wander wether to go full sized or not, id rather have as little lag as possible to be honest, but also want a bit of higher end brum.

I fitted a huge intercooler and was worried about delay and loss of pressure across the cooler - if there was any I could not tell even vaguely.

What I did do though was take the pressure feed pipe to the IP and wastegate off the manifold rather than the stock location of the turbo itself.

Seems to come up to pressure 0.8bar exactly like it did with the stock cooler on. The advantage being it reads manifold pressure which is exactly what the engine recieves.

I recommend the upgrade see other recent intercooler thread for ebay type units.

Essential bits cost me about £225 and a bit of pleasant tinkering.

The question's not so much about the intercooler size as creating non standard extra pipework. It is this that will cause more lag as a larger void needs to be filled before it gets to the bigger intercooler, this is why turbo pipes usually get replaced with silicone, it stretches less under pressure and thus reduces lag. I would say go with a larger one, you certainly won't be worse off at bottom end but will see improvements mid-high. A vnt will help further still along with the correct fueling mods.

Steve

my idea was to reroute the wastegate to the manifold but leave the I/P on the turbo housing. this should give fuelling as if it was higher pressure but the wastegate would think it is lower pressure, = pressure comes on slightly earlier, but better fuelling, obviously as my engine is rather turned up, the fuelling thing may be pointless but am definately going to to the turbo thingy