Before they are lost forever

GBMUD

The NERC bill is reconed to become law in Wales this autumn. This, in case you did not know, will have the effect of closing all RUPPs to motorised users forever - with a few possible exceptions.

Assuming (hypothetically) that you were planning a trip to Wales before this new legislation came into effect, which lanes would you want to drive for one last time and why? I guess that this question really only applies to RUPPs (and UCRs which are recorded as Footpaths and Bridleways) but if there are any BOATs that really stand out then you can list them too. ;)

Cheers

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
'The GAP'

'Brown trousers Byway'

x2 I always remeber, particualrly the second

nige :huh:

where is the brown trousers one? (trouble is, i might have driven it in the past, but different groups of people have different names for the lanes!)

Could you PM me the grid ref's if you don't want them to be made public and "overused" possibly... B)

Brown trousers is the one on the ide of a mountain, slate, horrible agngles and a 400 foot drop, there was a 4x4 that came off and rolled down to the bottom some years ago ?

Not sure of the OS grid ref, but you might now know the one !

I did it near 18 years ago, never again !

Not too far from the gap as we did both (and others) same day

Nige

I was totally in accordance with Chris's fear on that one, it was frosty up there too and that is one hell of a drop !

I'm going to do the "lane from hell" before it's too late, I've seen many photos of it being driven but I've never done it.

Do we have a concrete date for the re-classification in Wales yet, I noticed that Chris had put Autumn ?

Mo

Brown trousers runs up past Grwyne fawr resevoir in the middle of the black mountains and comes out on Llaneileu common above Talgarth. It is TRO'd to vehicles with 4 or more wheels! and unlikely ever to be opened again. If you speak nicely to the farmer (or buy a fishing permit) he will grant permission to drive as far as the reservoir. This is an easy track but a great location and fantastic views. After the resevoir it gets a bit more interesting!

M

Guest diesel_jim
I thought brown trousers had been TRO'd for some time due to safety reasons

Just what i wss thinking. yes, i'v done it several times.

To be honest, i didn't think it was that bad. in fact, i reveresed through it and drove it with the centre difflock disengaged, just to see if i could. :rolleyes:

Not the one I was thinking of then. IIRC I have been to the end of that one intending to drive and been put off by the TRO signs. :( There are some rather nice RUPPs and UCRs just to the south and east though. :)

I was thinking of the BOAT starting at SN739395 and travelling NNW and then ESE. Be aware, there is apparently no ROW between SN750406 and SN752403.

Chris

The lane you refer to GBMUD is the one with the contentious puppy farmer at the end of the lane where you say there is no ROW. This lane was actually listed (including GRs) in the LRO mag in their 100 miles of lanes across Wales so I expect there has been considerable interest since then...

The lane you refer to GBMUD is the one with the contentious puppy farmer at the end of the lane where you say there is no ROW. This lane was actually listed (including GRs) in the LRO mag in their 100 miles of lanes across Wales so I expect there has been considerable interest since then...

I know about the dispute. I am trying (without much success) to get an answer from the highways dept about whether the bit of white road at the end has been adopted or not.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spoken to Nicola Smith at Carmarthenshire county council and she has confirmed that there is NO right of way along that short section of road after the end of the lane. Shame.

Chris

Just what i wss thinking. yes, i'v done it several times.

To be honest, i didn't think it was that bad. in fact, i reveresed through it and drove it with the centre difflock disengaged, just to see if i could. :rolleyes:

How many time have we done it on the Dragon Trphy alone i wonder!!!!!!

How many times have you done the Dragon { not the missus } :blink:

Your Mrs? Three I think, all with Jonny ...the Dragon that is. :D

Once starting in Cardif, in Llanwrted Wells and in Ruthin. I would remember that lane!

Chris