Front brake confusion - part numbers

Hi,

I'm trying to sort new front pads for my G Reg One Ten and as usual I don't think I have the original bits on my car and as usual I am quite confused. I am also quite keen to try and write a brake guide for others in the same situation.

Am I correct that

"If the calipers are original then it will be early pre-rationalised brakes. So either one of the following:"

RTC3163 - non-hole type like this:

post-4939-0-65845000-1320087122_thumb.jpg

Or RTC5756, with the holes, like this:

post-4939-0-78356000-1320087152_thumb.jpg

and which depends on the axle.

The only difference being the retention method,

1) Metal spring plates under the pins (and if I am right the pins are split pins?). Part: STC8574

post-4939-0-23480900-1320088416_thumb.jpg

2) Springs that sit along the pins and the pins are solid. Part: STC8575

post-4939-0-05730600-1320088477_thumb.jpg

Now...

My Calipers are EP 3247 - 684C on the left and 3247 - "Not quite sure on the right". That is EP not AP as I seem to find all the time on here. Also I have a wire metal spring that runs along the pad under the pins and around a tab on the back of the pad and no springs sitting around the pins.

post-4939-0-68937300-1320088990_thumb.jpg

Questions

1) Am I right in thinking that I have a 300Tdi axle or at least calipers on mine?

2) Are the pads/retention kits interchangeable?

thanks.

Does your 110 have the early AEU2522 CVs and the thick drive flanges? If so its possibly the same as mine. My pads have the springy metal bits and the large split pins, and IIRC they are the pads with just the ear rather than two holes.

Just thought though, are your disks vented? .... that probably renders the above useless!!

Why the wheel spacers ?

back on track -- if you have a 300Tdi axle it should have thin drive members & the plastic end cap doesn't have the external rib on the bottom & IIRC 300Tdi has vented disc up front. & the radius arms are wider, so won't fit a early axle.

pads look like these http://www.brit-car....hp?xProd=101611 SFP000260 or Delphi [lockheed] LP506, [ see box end picture below] fitted a set to my 110 recently, only have the pin & coil spring retention kit, [vented disc/calipers on my truck] no spring clipped over the centre block.

just plain standard disc on Hed's axle, no spacer in between the caliper halfs for vented discs.

reckon you need the SPF000260 pads & the STC8575 retention kit, they will fit & I had them on my non vented calipers

post-20-0-01538900-1320093095_thumb.jpg

Ok,

hope to answer your questions best as I can considering I know nothing about anything...

1) Does your 110 have the early AEU2522 CVs and the thick drive flanges? If so its possibly the same as mine. My pads have the springy metal bits and the large split pins, and IIRC they are the pads with just the ear rather than two holes.

huh? :unsure:

I know I have solid pins (RTC5001) and don't have the springy metal bits (606688).

post-4939-0-30442400-1320094066_thumb.jpg

This is what I have:

post-4939-0-70255600-1320092904_thumb.jpg

I think this is the thin flange?

2) Are your disks vented? - I can answer this one, No!

3) Why the wheel spacers ? - So I can use (gay) alloy wheels with my summer tyres. :moglite:

Ok,

hope to answer your questions best as I can considering I know nothing about anything...

1) Does your 110 have the early AEU2522 CVs and the thick drive flanges? If so its possibly the same as mine. My pads have the springy metal bits and the large split pins, and IIRC they are the pads with just the ear rather than two holes.

huh? :unsure:

[sNIP]

3) Why the wheel spacers ? - So I can use (gay) alloy wheels with my summer tyres. :moglite:

I think that confirms you have the above :). spacers to clear the wide flanges.

So you should be OK with the same pads as me (unless someone has changed the calipers?!

I believe the type you have (with the wire along the pad) is interchangeable with the later rationalised type (with the spring along the solid pin). If you're passing let me know and if you like we can try the spare set of pads I have in the workshop in your calipers.

For clarification:

Early 110 type (early 80s period):

post-10578-0-78102100-1320100221_thumb.jpg

Later 110 type (110 from mid-80s):

post-10578-0-79375100-1320100223_thumb.jpg

Rationalised type (110 and 90 from 1991 - same as later 110 type save for the retention mechanism which was superseded from the wire clips to the springs on the pins):

post-10578-0-95240600-1320100226_thumb.jpg

Suffice to say, yours being a late-eighties 110 it will take the 'standard' brake pad for rationalised models :)

As far as I am aware Mo, no. Rear 90, Disco and RRC calipers use the metal spring plate thing whilst 110s have the same arrangement as on the front, the pin through with springs over them.

The rear discs (and consequently calipers) are larger on a 110 than a 90/Disco/RRC. 110s use the same disc front and rear, 90s use the rationalised front disc (ie. same as the 110) but use smaller rear discs.

Thanks all. That helps clear it up and thanks James for the offer but I already have a set of pads, it was more the retention side of things I was finding confuzzling.

I obviously need to reinstall Microcat as the Parts catalogue doesn't show the differences in callipers so its a XP Virtual machine install over the weekend.

I obviously need to reinstall Microcat as the Parts catalogue doesn't show the differences in callipers so its a XP Virtual machine install over the weekend.

I have microcat running on vista on my toughbook with a script that changes the date on launch, are you planning on a VM just so you don't have to deal with date changing or is it to do with the admin priv's?

I guess that is a bit OT sorry.