BAMA off road event, Longmoor, 18 Dec 11

McS Junior

Hi all,

The British Army Motorsport Association (BAMA) is holding an off road event on the training area at Longmoor (nr Liphook/Bordon, Hampshire) on Sunday 18th Dec and have asked me to extend you all an invitation. It's a small, friendly and fun event that has been running for years but has only recently become open to civilian entries. It's the perfect way to kick off your xmas holidays and an opportunity to drive an otherwise closed military training area.

Here's some excerpts from the Regs, please ask/PM if you require any more info or fancy entering.

Route. The route will be entirely on forest tracks or cross country with varying degrees of severity, but is considered to be non damaging to vehicles. The distance will vary by route selection but is not likely to exceed 50 miles. There will be a short RTV trial section, this will be designed with the novice in mind. Route instructions will be given at the start time for each competitor at the start of each phase and could be in any or all of the following forms, or a combination thereof:

a. Grid references

b. Aerial imagery

c. Photocopy maps

d. Sketch maps

e. Verbal instructions

f. Trace

Competing Vehicles. All competing vehicles must have four wheels and should be capable of engaging all four to drive at once. Whilst modified vehicles are permitted it must be accepted that, to retain the navigation essence of the event, offroad racers and similar vehicles are discouraged. Challenge type vehicles are not, in this regard, considered as racers. If in doubt please consult the Clerk of the Course before entering. The maximum size of vehicle should be about the size of a long wheelbased Land Rover. Vehicles must be road legal and have current MOT and insurance.

Competitive phases:

a. Phase 1 Navigation. This will require competitors to transpose a trace on to an aerial photograph and follow the resultant route to arrive at the end time control within the time allowed. Route check boards will be posted to ensure crews remain on route. The code letters are to be written in the next available box on time card 1. Competitors must remain on defined tracks.

b. Phase 2. Scatter. This will require competitors to visit as many ‘search points’ as possible in the time allowed. The information for this phase will be presented as an aerial image pre-marked with the points to visit. They can be visited in any order by any route but code letters must be entered in the correct box on time card 2.

c. Phase 3. Orienteering. This uses an orienteering map marked with the control locations. Controls must be visited in the correct order but with competitors choosing the route. There will be an orienteering kite at each control and competitors will be required to punch the correct box on time card 3. A crew member may be required to dismount to punch cards. Manned Secret Controls (MSC) will be established to ensure compliance.

d. Phase 4. Sequential. Competitors will be given a marked photocopied map which will show the location of controls and the direction in which they must be passed, Controls must be visited in order and the code letter found recorded in the correct box on time card 4. MSC will be established to ensure compliance.

e. Phase 5. Lunch Break.

f. Phase 6. RTV type trial.

g. Phase 7. Navigation medley. Crews will be given a set route to follow presented in various forms. Route checks will be established to ensure crews remain on route, code letters must be entered in the next box on time card 6.

I might just have to have a go at this event in my shiney !! Not the challenge truck ;0) a quick question please-the bit about all four wheels must be able to be engaged ( or similar wording) does this mean front n rear lockers ? I'm guessing not but would like to check , does sound like a good day out though , wifey is top at the maps stuff also ,

I might just have to have a go at this event in my shiney !! Not the challenge truck ;0) a quick question please-the bit about all four wheels must be able to be engaged ( or similar wording) does this mean front n rear lockers ? I'm guessing not but would like to check , does sound like a good day out though , wifey is top at the maps stuff also ,

just means 4 wheel drive -- therefore NO 2wd only vehicles.

Yep, spot on Ralph.

Just spoke to wifey and pleased to ask for the entry forms ;0) I can p.m you an email a dress if easier ?

Yeh PM me your email address and I'll ping you over the details.

Could you send me any more info/entry forms please?

Hi Neil,

same again, PM me your email address and I'll send you some stuff over.

Anyone else fancy it??

Ross

Do you know if this will occur next year again? and if there are any similar events throughout the year?

Yes this will run again next year. There are four events of this nature scheduled for next year, the first one being in late January over by Reading. Details to follow.

Ross

Yes this will run again next year. There are four events of this nature scheduled for next year, the first one being in late January over by Reading. Details to follow.

Ross

Ross, thats good to hear, would you be able to send me details and dates for all four if I was to drop you an email by PM? the last week in january I am comitted on a trip to Snowdon already but other ones in the year may well fall nicely.

Ryck

Hi Ross, Couple more quickys please ?

I am a full member of the AWDC ( for challenge comps) Although not listed on the regs, will this be deemed suitable ? if not can i join the club on the day ? Also, as time is near i dont want to post a cheque, so shall i just tranfer some money, or pay on the day ? Sorry to burden you with questions, Many thanks

I did not know that BAFMA/BAMA events were open to civvy clubs. This event is a corker, did it several times in the 90's

Used to run my own event, Ex Compass Rose at Bovington Tank Training Ground, which was the Naval contribution.

Useful background info is here http://www.arrse.co.uk/strategic-defence-spending-review-2010/153390-british-army-motoring-association-killed-sdsr.html as to why the events are open now, as it seems the guys wont have access to military vehicles or funding to compete with, as I used to.

Be warned that the scrutineering can be fierce, (or used to be) so ensure that your vehicles are tip-top.

I think this means that Uncle Bob has been ousted, which is a shame.

As Mark says above, this is a cracking event. We used to do all the military events ( for obvious reasons) and really enjoyed them all. It's a great chance to share some beer and conversation with the boys and girls you only ever hear about in the news.

The scrutineering is tough and in a lot of cases, so is the event..it's all done in good spirits though and the spirit of the event cup is always nice to get if you have had to sacrifice your event to assist those in peril!! Lol

was speaking with Bernie, he was saying scruitineering isnt going to be tough just usual , lights, horn, steering etc the list of gear you need to carry , fire extinguisher, tow rope,first aid kit shackle etc usual comp stuff.

a few unusuals like tracing paper

worse one was no simexs as deemed to agressive as they dont want to chew the site up as they wont be allowed back, I did say he should have stated that on the form. he said he has inform a number of competitors this already, on with the Mts :-)

You really don't want Simex on at that site anyway, or any of those sandy military sites around that area. Even a MT is aggressive enough to just dig a hole if you get stuck and spin your wheels. Hopefully you'll be keeping moving though as it's not exactly a challenge event!

Sounds like a fun event anyway :)