Aftermarket Wiper Wheelboxes

Whilst the inside of my bulkhead is bare I thought I would take the opportunity to renew the wiper wheelboxes. However the genuine parts are about £70 per pair. Aftermarket is about half that.

Has anyone used the cheaper aftermarket parts? Should they be avoided or are they fine to use?

Just fitted the later type (TD5) Bearmach ones to mine. Nice discount meant they were about £14 a piece. Not a simple job to fit though. I had to enlarge and elongate the holes in the bulkhead, which went easier than expected. Then I had to modify the central bulkhead stiffener because the cable drive was a bit higher and had to pass through it. Bit of drilling and a few bends in the cable outer and solved that. Then the gearing was out as the later wheel box gears have 8 more teeth than the earlier ones so I had to change the gear and crank in the motor (another £12 outlay). But now it is all set up and works fine. Why go to all that trouble I hear you ask? Well I have just got hold of a pair of Disco 1 wiper arms and have cut them down to the defender length, and because they use the same tapered centre and bolt fixing they now fit the wheel box spindles. Being made for a longer wiper they have a more powerful double spring set up than the defender so I am hoping it will give a better wipe. Just need to finish the rebuild so i can see if it has worked. I will do a write up of the mod if it works.....

I used the el cheapo wheel boxes , decided not a good idea as the machining accuracy for the drive cable doesnt seem to be that good ( lack of arc under load) the motor and cable was a late/low use part , so would not be in cable drive . Different decision when I replace them !!

Yep buy GENUINE but not from Land Rover. IIAIK they have never made wheelboxes. LUCAS do or did for a very wide range of cars. Austin and Morris then the BMC and Leyland....

So if you want "proper" ones LUCAS

What's wrong with turning the gear wheel 180 Deg ?