Goes better when loaded

A merry Christmas to you all you merry Defendants !

A question ? when I load up the TD5, it accelerates and generally performs a lot better than when I have less weight in it. Yesterday I had an extra 5, 25ltr containers (full) on top of my normal tools and spares and it and it seemed to go a lot better, I could feel the Turbo working and the brakes stopping it better. Does it have a weight brake compensator on it, and does this mean the turbo is out of adjustment or knackered?

Thanks Richard

If your still on stock gearing and small tyres.

It's probably because its so under geared that you never loading the engine up.

I had a stock isuzu trooper that was the same, i fitted a boost guage and it never moved, until i put my trailer on it then it would make 1.2 bar and go like stink.

I have a similar 'feeling' about my RRC pickup, but I put it down to this: When unloaded my rear suspension is rather too 'unloaded' and gives a jiggly ride - when loaded it all smooths out and that (in my case) is a double whammy since it feels like I am going faster (because it's smoother), and also I tend to drive faster (use more throttle) since it is smoother.

However, I can think of no mechanical or physical reason why a loaded vehicle would go faster (all other things being equal) than an unloaded one, and probably about half a dozen reasons why it would go slower... :)

My p38 is the opposite. After a long drive with the LR on the trailer behind, once off loaded it feels like it goes like stink afterwards :lol:

Testted the F250 yesterday towing...wow...forgot using a RR to tow again !

a bit of weight in the back of briian always did well for the comfort, i did drive round with a couple of paving slabs in the rear for a bit untill they turned into gravel haha

my gearing was always ok after i fitted the diffs and overdrive but thats a completely different story to a TD5 box.