Multiple power supplies

ejparrott

A question for the real electrical experts, the ones who make me look an amature!

Whats the best way to seperate one large cable into several smaller ones, or splitting one cable into multiple outputs, without resorting to the gord awful bullet blocks that Land Rover use? I've just done the Series II dash by cutting and soldering to create 5 ends to feed oil light, charge light etc, and some time ago I did the boat's electrics split one 35mm2 cable down into ten 4mm's. When I redo my Series III I intend to do the same, take one large cable up to the dash and then split it down into the samller feeds, what is the best way?

I've got that too. Its in a tupperware box to keep it clean. Best bit is that it has as many screw terminal earths as fuses. The fuses are split into two groups so you can have permanent live and ignition switched. Works best with crimp on rings. Very pleased with it.

Exhaust bobbin is great for the high amp stuff :) Just don't touch it with you ratchet :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I've put a midi fuse in on the supply to the glowplugs....just need to get my ammeter on to see what they're drawing so I can fit an appropriate size fuse, its a big ol' wire feeding out there...don't fancy the insulation getting frayed and it sparking on something!

I have got hold of the under bonnet fuse box from a Disco 300 tdi (you should be able to pick one up for a few quid). Have mounted it on the bulkhead as a central distribution point for any unforeseen extras. You get a choice of 5 high-amp mega fuses and 7 standard blade out puts. You may need a multimeter to work out the internal power distribution as it is a bit illogical but it is neat, compact and has plenty of options to add stuff to it. I also have one of the bus bar fuse boxes linked to above but it is not quite as versatile.

If you are splitting down the +Ve feed then you should ideally fuse the individual circuits as close as possible to the point you are splitting the supply, so a fuse block would be ideal. If you do this then you can be certain you have wiring that is suitably protected and a much reduced risk of sparks/ fires or other nastiness happening!