can a leaf spring be repaired??

discomikey

putting brians back axle on today, i noticed that one of the pieces that wraps around the leaves to hold them together had snapped, and it wasnt recent as i couldnt find the bit, probably happened in the crash, is there any way of repairing/replacing it without buying a new spring as i cant seem to get single parabolics they come in pairs and it will be rather expensive to replace both.

Spring leaves can be repaired by welding back together. I had a series 1 front spring repaired in 1971 and it was still fine when I sold it in 1978; they should be even better at it now.

Find a good welder because I think it needs a special welding rod for spring steel.

I understand the post to be referring to the leaf clamp, not a leaf. A simple replacement can be made up, and there would be nothing wrong with welding the broken original clamp if you can remove it from the spring first (you don't want to heat the leafs up as you could accidentally re-temper the spring) as it is not highly stressed and failure of the clamp has no serious consequences.

I would not recommend welding a snapped leaf with a spring eye (top or second leaf) under any circumstances. Other leafs with plain ends could be welded as a temporary repair in remote locations, but I would always recommend replacement wherever possible.

• 2 weeks later...