Composite Gaskets

geoffbeaumont

Actually on this subject - is there any benefit to fitting the composite head & valley gaskets (even if not originally fitted)?

They seal better - simple as that. Although they are also less inclined to slip out of place as your fitting the head and don't have sharp edges that cut your hands to ribbons...

The down side is that they're thicker (I think 1mm is the thickest you can get), so unless you have the heads skimmed they lower your compression ratio. I'm going to suffer from this as I'm doing the minimum possible to the current engine and run on LPG which would be better with a higher than standard compression ration anyway. However, I'm just aiming to keep this lump running until I can build something a bit more interesting :)

only problem with the composite gasket on the valley is that as it is thicker than the standard gasket, it raises the inlet manifold upwards and mis-allighns your manifold tracts with the cylinder head tracts. However this aint a significant issue unless your running a "hot" engine

only problem with the composite gasket on the valley is that as it is thicker than the standard gasket, it raises the inlet manifold upwards and mis-allighns your manifold tracts with the cylinder head tracts. However this aint a significant issue unless your running a "hot" engine

I don't think anyone would describe this one as hot :lol:

It's an utterly bog standard 3.5 EFI out of '93 disco.

I came up with ERR7218 digging around on the 'Net - not sure what the difference is (ERR7218 might be the thinner one?).

EPC shows ERR7218 for Defender V8 3.5 carburettor engines from Engine number 24G 13114A

&

Discovery V8 3.5 efi from chassis/VIN MA081991

On the vally gasket the clampmplates (metal) and rubber atre COMPLELY different to the tin valley gaskey plates and rubbers, many don't know this and try to fit the wring bits so be aware !

nige

Arse! Don't suppose you've got the part numbers for the composite ones? I've probably just ordered the wrong bits... :(

The 3.5 were never a composite OEM ……. I use Real Steel for Gaskets and have found the quality / service to be excellent,

3.5 Composite …….AZ744

3.9 Composite …….AZ900

Composite Inlet Valley Gasket ……CX7590

Rubber End Seal (2 Required) …….CX2684

Other interesting stuff that is worth using,

Rubber Rocker cover Gasket (Never OEM)…….AZ656……. excellent replacement

Heavy duty exhaust Manifold Gasket for Tubular Pipes (1 piece)……AZ830

Very Short nose water pumps for V8 Conversions….. overall length of pump,

For engines up to 73…………. 4.488 inches ……… CX1054

Standard SD1 Viscous………...4.606 inches………. CX1069

Billet aluminium pump that runs at a faster rate …….. not good for high revving engines,

All except Pre SD1…………….4.606 inches………. DW4235

High oil pressure relief valve spring (A la MGC) …….. CX2634

High vis pre marked Timing tape for a 6 inch damper …………BY1592

HTH :)

Ian

Geoff,

The rubber end seal (non OEM) that Real Steel offer, use the original steel clamping plates………..I have used these and not had a problem……….. but yes, the OEM version does indeed use a different clamp.

Real Steel ………..01 895 440505

Email ……………. sales@realsteel.co.uk

Yes, their website is plop ! :lol: ……. But don’t let that put you off ……. IIRC their catalogue is £3 ……… but worth every penny. ;)

Hold on tight to your wallet ……….. they also do Chevy 454 & 502, Mopar 360, Pontiac 350/400, Ford 221 though to 460 including the 302 SVO

The Ford 460 ….. (7.5L) Super Cobra Crate engine is 550bhp as standard with 545 ft/lbs of torque … £6K :blink:

Ian

The rubber end seal (non OEM) that Real Steel offer, use the original steel clamping plates………..I have used these and not had a problem……….. but yes, the OEM version does indeed use a different clamp.

Real Steel ………..01 895 440505

Email ……………. sales@realsteel.co.uk

Cheers - I'll give them a call.

The Ford 460 ….. (7.5L) Super Cobra Crate engine is 550bhp as standard with 545 ft/lbs of torque … £6K :blink:

Sounds very reasonable - I'll have two :D