oil pressure confusion? help please

discomikey

just noticed my oil pressure light comes on very dim on tickover, and i think it did when i slammed the brakes on in the yard, but i wasnt really watching it.

now, the engines definately not low on oil.

the only thing i can think of other than the fact that somehow the oil pump has got weak since i crashed, which was fine before, is the fact that the oil filter housing started pissing oil at the MOT, so i swapped it for a series 2.25d oil filter housing and switch. now could this make the light come on very dim at tickover or is my pump buggered?

A blocked oil filter will have no effec, assuming the pressure relief valve in the pump housing is operating correctly. One, of its uses is to bypass a blocked oil filter. I think you will find that the 2.25 switch fitted needs replacing based on what your post states (it was fine before fitting it)

The filter element by-pass valve will be set higher than the elements expected back pressure with cold oil. So the extra back pressure could be the difference between oil light just on and it being off.

But as above, switches can have different ratings.

What you really need is a pressure gauge. Figuring whats wrong by the warning light is a guessing game if you don't know its exact setting. There maybe nothing wrong?

Ralph, you may or may not know, i figured this the other day, the tapped hole for the pressure switch/gauge is M10 x1... quite well known, the temp gauge thread is M16 x 1.5, just so you know for future reference.

thanks for that, it'll help when I swap the oil pressure gauge [LR item] for a VDO gauge to match the oil temp & voltmeter gauges.

When I got my disco, the oil lamp lit whenever I was doing under 1500rpm. Added some oil pressure gauge, and found that the oil pressure was way to low. Changed the oil pump after some months, and everything has been fine since. Not a big/difficult job, a few bolts had to be replaced, but other than that. not a big job. I replaced the oilpump with the engine still in the car.