TIG Gloves - Nicest options ?

Might sound an odd thread, but I have taken the plunge and enrolled myself on a proper certified (read spendy) TIG Welding course,

mit an exam and proper assesments / recognised qualllies etc.

Its not I want the exam certificates, but doing a "Proper" Course means a standard of training and overall a higher end result.

Tonight (Week 3 of 20 poss 30 if I extend :blink:) I arrived and found in my brilliance I had picked up 2 x right hand gloves vs a pair :lol:

I "Borrowed" a left hand glove, and found almost straight away I had difficulty in moving the TIG Rod as smoothly as with my gloves.

Speaking to the instructor he said many "Proper" TIG welders have a preferance to 'gloves', and that not all TIG Gloves are the same

Having had a ebay forage tonight I can see there are a vast range both in price and stylee,

So,....... for the grown up TIG welder out there..... whats your favourite TIG Glove ?

At the Moment I have and am using "Ultima Golds" which seem Mid Price range and seem comfy, but they do leave a F BIG Bright

Orange stain on my wrists FFS :lol:

So, nominations for TIG Gloves please, and is my instructor right that a good glove makes a difference ?

Week 3 and I am amazed what a 'Proper' course can do, my thin TIG work has improved hugely, my aim is Ali, the Instructor wants me to

pass a selection (12 differing types + Written Exams FFS !) of TIG welding tests before I get on Ali, some tests I have passed and

some er. yeah right........... :D ....................

PRACTISE !!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I'm just starting a TIG course, albeit over here in the states, and the instructor suggested that some people like a thicker glove on their torch hand, and thinner glove with the filler.

12 types and a written before Ali?! Wow. We start on mild and quickly move on to stainless, finishing on ali. Then we can certify in whatever we want/the instructor thinks we'll pass...

Not quite what you were asking, but.... this is more an observation as I am not a 'proper' tig welder, but I can tig weld ....

Anyway, I've watched my father tig weld more times than I can remember. Up until a few years ago (when he retired) he was a certified welder doing a lot of aerospace work amongst other things (ali, titanium, stainless etc). Most of the time he would just wear a glove on the torch hand, pretty much picked up whatever was thick enough to stop the heat of the current job ..... there were always a lot of odd gloves where he worked as most people just used one.

Interesting to watch as he gets older and his hand gets shakier, the torch hand now noticably shakes but the tip stays dead steady! ..... wish I could do that :)

At the Moment I have and am using "Ultima Golds" which seem Mid Price range and seem comfy, but they do leave a F BIG Bright

Orange stain on my wrists FFS :lol:

Are they a bit like Mari-golds? :P

I found the thinner gloves better for feeding it through, although the best improvement in my neatness of welds came with one of the little rod feeders. Basically, imagine an aluminium pen, but with a little rubber roller on it to push the rod through. Even with the thinner gloves I was struggling to feed it though as my fingers are akin to large sausages.

Welding with someone experienced looking over you was great, pointing out things as you go. I went from never having TIGed before to having my welds good enough to pass Various tests including X-rays; and also good enough to weld components on site :)

post-5198-0-43963700-1326878048_thumb.jpg

I had some really good leather gloves from Great Mills a while back,but I'm told they were called Focus and now they have gone pop.They were just all leather womens gardening gloves so were thin and very soft.Cant find anything any good in B+Q.

My tip when you find some good ones is to buy two or three pairs....