A Frame

Hi Guys. I know that I have read in the forum somewhere how to replace the rear A Frame ball joint, but I have just spent about 25 minutes trying to find the thread but keep coming up blank, can some very kind sole point me please in the right direction, I am going to tackle the job tomorrow but would like to have a little read up first. Many thanks. Spike.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Fitted a new A frame Ball joint last weekend, the ball was quite a job to get out of the bracket that it's fitted into, but after a lot of swearing and cussing it decide to come out, I also fitted new rubber bush's to the A Frame link arms, this is after fitting new rubber bush's to the front trailing arms, (front and rear), new bush's in the Panard, new bush's in the rear trailing arm, (front and rear), new bush's in the bottom of the rear shocks, and I still have a bloody knocking sound when driving slowly green laneing :( :( .

Agreed, shock bushes. Can cause an awful knocking. Mine were loose, unfortunately this came to light halfway up Sarn Helen and a mid-lane fix ensued in the wonderfully Welsh weather.

That fix lasted until a couple of months ago when the washer fell off again driving down the road. I've now gone with a belt-and-braces approach involving welding the inner washers to the axle bracket (which has worn oval somewhat) in order to steady the whole assembly, combined with big chunky outer washers. This seems to be holding up well, but new shocks all round are on the list...

It sounds like it's coming from the front, but as I have said further up I have nearly replaced most rubber bush's, It's not the exhaust, or the gearbox, or the engine, I have had it up on a ramp at work to do all the other jobs and can't get it to bonk what ever We pull / push / prod. Spike.

The noise is only there when driving gently on bumpy tracks / gentle of road at quite slow speeds, no knocking sounds when driving on the road, pretty sure it's not the engine / gearbox / exhaust, it's not that sort of noise, it's more of a gentle knocking sound, I hope that makes some sort of sense, perhaps I should just wait and see what happens / falls of.

I had similar on mine, thought all of the above almost took it the garage, then when pushing and pulling up and down on the bull bar i heard it and tracked it down to the bolts through the radius arm bushes not being tight!!

Hope this helps............

Working a bit later than normal today so not had time to look, and the wife is using it at the moment for the school runs, she likes the heated seats!!!! Hadn't thought of hanging on the bull bar to see if I can make it bonk, (That's the truck, not the wife) I just hope it warms up by the weekend, so I can do all these jobs that it needs doing to it. Spike