Electrical question (Battery/Alternator)

Right then....

Once again the cold weather moves in and causes some of us problems with regards to starting!

Early on this year I sorted out the earth cables on the motor, re-newed and re-located!

End of last year brought NEW BIG Battery!!!

Now I don't do a lot of miles, only short runs. It's 2.5 miles to work (yes two and a half miles), then it's 3 miles to

where the wife keeps her horse, if I go into town it's 6.5 miles!!!

So how do i go about keeping the battery at it's best?.... The Defender is a 300Tdi with standard 65A alternator...

Is it worth putting a 100amp alt. on in place? Can i do any thing to pro-long the battery life and make it

as efficient as it can be.

It IMO depends what else you are running off the battery, I'm in the same position as you. Just filled, well half filled the car for the first time since November ??

I do have a Discovery 100amp alternator on mine but I run a split charge battery system and a fridge,

Also I have a Cetek charger fitted to keep the main battery up to full charge, when I remember to switch it on..

Nice one Zim...Like it, like it .......A little play on words there, keeping it to the theme ....."CURRENT...ly"

And to answer your Current question...NO not having problems, just a bit disapointed this morning really, like I said got New Big Battery,

New earth wires and cleaned earth points, put in 10w40 engine oil....Temperature was -8c here this morning, went to start the LR

and it took a few turn before it fired up.........

Was kinda hoping it would have been a bit more on the button, after the effort i put in?

Lol...didn't see the pun.

I would of thought that even though you're not driving that much, i reckon that it should be fairly charged.

It's probably just because it was so cold. As stated above, glow plugs ? I know i don't like working in the cold :lol:

Gord

check the glowplug relay & it's socket too http://forums.lr4x4....20testing&st=20

tested mine a while ago like this ----

remove glowplugs, get jump leads out.

connect negative jump lead to battery neg terminal

connect positive jump lead to battery pos terminal

connect other end onf negative jump lead to the glowplug body [not the top end threaded terminal]

get some gloves & insulated pliers & grip glowplug with pliers ensure neg lead is still connected as above

connect positive jump lead to the top threaded end until glowplug tip heats to cherry red that means it's working OK, disconnect pos lead & don't touch the now hot end tip,

test the other 3 plugs in same way, if any are not heating up or take a long time to change to red they need replacing.

don't get burnt. cos it hurts.

Mine usually starts on the very first crank. This morning it cranked twice before it fired. Not surprised given the temperature, though I suspect my glow plugs are not in their first flush of youth and if I replaced them it would have fired on the first crank without issues.

With regard to your situation, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine gets used for much the same sort of thing, couple of miles to work and back. Might drive across the estate a few times or nip about in the woods while at work, but I'm rarely driving it for more than five or ten minutes at the most. If you're concerned then just try to do a journey of 30 mins or so once a week, that should put some charge back in :)

so how do i put back into the battery quickley what i use to start the motor, as i'm not driving far enough each time to fully charge the thing......or what else is there i can do to help it?

The voltage regulator method that the alternator uses to charge the battery is not the best method.

You could use a inteligent plug in charger to get better/quicker charging but if you don't want to plug it in to the mains all the time you can get more inteligent alternator charging systems.

I found this company claiming better battery management, but I have not used their product.

It's been a while since I bought any Mutley but last time I needed some I got some Champion glow plugs from Paddocks for about £2.50 each. I'd personally avoid any in a blue box unless someone could verify their origin.

HTH

Mo