Thrust Bearing Yes or No?

Hi all, I havnt been on LR4x4 for ages due to the fact i had to sell my old 200tdi Defender to make way for the new baby. Any way I have now bought a new 2001 Td5 Defender less than a week ago. It has only covered 34000 from new with service history to prove.

The reason i'm posting is because I have noticed a strange noise when engaging reverse and 1st. It is a low pitched squeling/grinding noise which goes away when I let the clutch out and pull off or disingage the gear.

Could this be the thrust bearing or is it more serious? Also I am thinking that the landy has be used for towing as it has a tow bar. would this cause any premature wear on the thrust bearing or gearbox?

Luckily the landy comes with 6 months warranty. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Terra Dog

Hi Terra Dog

I had the same on my 2002 TD5, and luckily someone told me before I went down the clutch route, to grease up the UJ's on the props, as it gives you the same noise and symptoms as A thrust bearing, I did and it went away. The other thing he said and I can prove it, if it is the UJ's and the noise goes away, replace them, as they have already got damaged due to lack of grease, mine broke on the way to get them replaced, Luckily I use mine as a breakdown wagon, so pulled over and took the front prop off, and came home on the rear.

Thrust bearing is normally used to mean the one that is mounted either side of the crankshaft centre journal and stops the crankshaft being thrust forward when you press the clutch. Release bearing is the one that presses against the clutch pressure plate fingers when you press the clutch.

I'm pretty sure the ujs have been greased before I picked it up because it's had a full service prior to buying it. And I checked the props earlier tonite and there is fresh grease on them. Might still be worth investigating them because i've done about 150 miles since they were greased.

Mine was making a noise for a while. It eventually went when I was off road on a hill. Then I couldnt depress the clutch/change gear unless the engine wasnt running. When we changed it, it was a bubbly molten mess. Not saying it will happen to yours thats just my experience. Didnt do any other damage that im aware of though.

Jad

Normally the front prop will squeal under engine breaking, rather than when engaging/dis-engaging the clutch. This sounds very much like the thrust bearing. If it's just started making the noise, you could have a while yet before it goes (mine took about 2000 miles from noise to failure).

I managed to drive 10 miles in 3rd gear only, to get home and drop the gearbox. :blink:

Cluth release bearing and thrust bearing are generally regarded as the same thing. Towing shouldn't make any difference to it, as it only engages the drive, and once in gear it does nothing at all. A worn bearing should make a noise even when in neutral with the engine running - foot off = squealing, foot on = no noise or significant change in the level of noise. It's quite common for the bearings to be noisy - sometimes for years, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all is fine. The bearing can become noisy over a short period of time and then fail. The fact is - it shouldn't make any noise at all really, so there may well be a problem. I would try to get it fixed under the warranty, rather than have to pay for it yourself at a later date.

2nd hand vehicle warranties usually stipulate that 'perishable and/or service items are not covered, such as brake pads/discs, clutch, tyres, etc.

I've seen warranties that only cover the engine block! :(

Les.

............ It doesnt do it that much and hardly at all when warmed up.

Could also be the spigot bush in the end of the crank squealing. As Les says you can check the release bearing scenario with his neutral test. If it doesn't match that, try transfer box in neutral, main box in drive, then you can exercise the main box. If you then get the noise on and off with the clutch it points to a main box issue, and maybe the warranty would cover that. I'd also check gearbox and transfer box oil levels (yes I know it's been serviced)