Td5 speedo problem

After completing the conversion to Td5 in my 90 one of the last things to do was fit the speed transducer so I could see how fast I am going. I bought a new one (non genuine) and am having issues with it over reading massively. It's over reading by double ie at 35 mph it's telling I'm doing 70mph. Currently I have disco T/box 1.2 with 285/75 r16 tyres and 3.8 ratio diffs. By my reckoning it's a few percent over a standard disco in terms of final drive. It has the disco drive gear for the sender so why the huge innaccuracy? Could it be the Chinese transducer is wrong or a speedo fault ? Steve

Had the same problem, bought mine from LRdirect, they sent a black unit in a Britpart box which overread. They exchanged this for a Almakes which was green with VDO marked on the side, this worked as it should.

I can confirm that the britpart one overreads by double!!! and when i spoke to britcar, my supplier, they said they had had a few do this...so after returning it to them they supplied a genuine one and it reads fine.

I'm ashamed to say (and I really should know better) that the one I bought was in fact one level worse than Britpart! I got a county one from premiere supply. I'll just get a genuine one and have a discussion with premiere about their quality and refunds. Thanks all for the advise and I'll report back when I've fixed it. Steve

For what it's worth, the Disco transducer unit (the small black one, think it has an AMR part number) reads double the number of pulses that the Defender Td5 one (YBE100530) does.

For a Defender Td5 speedo, YBE100530 is what you want. Anything else will mis-read, and a non-genuine YBE100530 will double-read. Never heard of a Britpart YBE100530 not reading double!

• 1 year later...
Had the same problem, bought mine from LRdirect, they sent a black unit in a Britpart box which overread. They exchanged this for a Almakes which was green with VDO marked on the side, this worked as it should.

I just had the same problem with the Britpart version of the YBE100530 - the Allmakes (mine was marked VDO as well) worked fine when it turned up as a replacement - I just want a credit on the Britpart version now.

Dave

its poor isn't it - I guess they may have muddled up the spec and made them for a Disco with the higher pulse count. I bought mine from LRDirect and I've sent them a link to all the forum comment. Mine was a shoddy build quality as well with the metal section loose on the plastic molding.

Just so this is linked to this forum, I did try the AMR 1253 from the original Disco gearbox, this need different wiring, two wires, one is an earth and the other is the signal out t0 the Defender TD5 speedo, this combination also reads double. I started playing with a CMOS divider chip (4027 I think) and this worked briefly but then stopped, I think the signal from the AMR 1253 is too messy probably, but then I managed to blow it and didn't have another to hand so abandoned it in disgust - I'll try it again though when I've got a bit more time as it would be quite neat.... it might even be a way of correcting for tyre size variation etc with a more sophisticated divider chip??

Dave

If you are into electronics you can reprogram the eeprom in the speedo head, that will allow you to change the pulse per mile count so you can compensate for tyre size and double speed senders if you like. The link in my signature details the time a few of us on the forum dismantled the speedo head and tried to work out what the eeprom contents meant.

I'm not that good with eeproms I'm afraid, wish I was - I read that thread on the forum a couple of days ago and admired what went in to it but I'm just a dabbler in electronics and don't have access to that kit.

I do think that fiddling with the signal going into the speedo is an option though and I've got a spare speedo to play with at the mo.

If I get anywhere with it I'll let people know but it could be an autumn project.

Dave