pda

gaf lad

I use a Medion PNA100 with built in GPS, works well woth memorymap and TomTom.

Paul

thanks ive just been on there web site looks ok not to expensive it will do me as i only need it as a back up for the lanes local to me.

I use an XDAII with a bluetooth GPS unit and it's brilliant. No problem with the bluetooth connecting and the GPS (Holux GPSlim 236 from ebay HK) gets far better signal than my Etrex does, even under tree cover.

Advantages of the seperate unit is that it can be stuck anywhere so can be placed to get the best signal - in the 90 I attach it to the top of the ashtray with a bit of elastic, in the car most of the time I just chuck it on the passenger seat.

Disadvantages is that you have two things to power, although the GPS battery lasts about 12 hours on a full charge and it's two things to move between vehicles. I also found that the GPS would not charge from the car adaptor when it gets very hot. Sat on the dash going through France it was too hot to touch so I'm not too surprised, I ended up hanging it over one of the cool air vents to get it to charge and it's been fine since.

Rich

Dell Axim 51V with TomTom Bluetooth unit. Works superbly with both TomTom Navigator 5 and Memory Map.

Also as it's a Windows Mobile 5 unit, even if you completely drain the battery, it retains all of the data. no more re-installing flat PDAs.

Dell Axim 51V with TomTom Bluetooth unit. Works superbly with both TomTom Navigator 5 and Memory Map.

Also as it's a Windows Mobile 5 unit, even if you completely drain the battery, it retains all of the data. no more re-installing flat PDAs.

Hey Graham, you're not forgetting are you?Here What the heck is a PDA for us acronym numpties? :D:D:P

Steve

Mitac Mio 168 - built in GPS receiver. Available on ebay for about £100 if you keep your eyes open.

I run tomtom and memory map on mine without a problem.

It only has one slot for a SD or MMC card, so no CF slot, no bluetooth or wireless, and they do suffer from a problem with the connector on the bottom where the power and USB cable goes in, but i've not suffered from this.

I use a Treo 650 running Tomtom Navigator along with a bluetooth GPS unit. Works really well.

I've not tried any OS mapping software yet... Memory-map continue to fail on their promise of bringing their software to PalmOS and I've not managed to get my hands on any other software.

I use a Treo 650 running Tomtom Navigator along with a bluetooth GPS unit. Works really well.

I've not tried any OS mapping software yet... Memory-map continue to fail on their promise of bringing their software to PalmOS and I've not managed to get my hands on any other software.

thanks for all the help i think i will opt. for the medion.

kev

I have got a mio 168 That I bought some 15 monthss ago and it has recently started to play up on the bottom connector now after some serious use/abuse.

It has been thrown out of a car in a crash.

It has been submursed in mud when the truck was on its side at tony's bash last year.

When it eventually dies I will definately buy another PDA but I am not sure what to go for.

I do like the idea of the gps being physically connected to the pda so that is dosent require a seporate power supply and it is one les item to lose.

Rob, when it does die, open it up to get access to the battery and solder two wires to the temrinals and push em' out of the case through the socket hole on the bootm, attach a socket and you can now charge it with the original charger. I've not done this to mine as the connector is OK, but i've replaced the battery with a Li-ion jobby off ebay... if the socket does bugger up, I'll def' be trying to find a fix.

I would recommend separate gps and pda for the simple reason that you can upgrade/replace one or the other without having to replace both.

Before you buy have a look at the accessories available. Things like a waterproof ruggedised case would be a good accessory, they aren't available for all pda's.

I use www.expansys.com.