Where do I splash my cash?

eastw77

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a bit of money to spend on my RRC and cant decide where to spend it. I want to fit 35" tyres in the future so will need to get Ashcroft axles, HD CWP's, CV's etc and I also want to fit his locking differentials. I believe this will be the best mod for me regarding offroad performance. Now I have enough to get all this right now but my suspension is very "tiered" and needs an overhaul and I wanted to do a 2" suspension lift. In fact I want to fit a Gwyn Lewis kit. If I go with the suspension upgrades then I will have enough to get a winch and build a front bar etc. So do I......

a) Fit a winch and challenge suspension now and save up for the axle upgrades. Or..

B)Upgrade the axles now and save up for the suspension upgrades and winch.

I would go with option a.

Your car needs a new suspension and a new one wil give you more articulation and maybe hight = chances for more fun.

The winch will also get you further into or out of the mud = chances for more fun.

And if you drive sensible then you axles will be OK.

Then later on opt for the axleupgrade and bigger tires.

Just my thoughts

Morten

Option A.

If you fit the bigger tyres then you won't get the articulation as they will rub the arches.I'd get the suspension set up right then see about other stuff.

There's a lot to be said for standard drivetrain.Don't forget these trucks will have been tested to destrution by the factory (fully loaded as well probably).so as long as you don't go mental when attacking obsticals then you'll be ok. I've got a 110 with a 2" lift and 35" tyres and had mine wheel spinning going uphill and had no breakages.Not to say you won't,but if it's that difficult you'll be better off with a winch to pull you up or out.

It's not a bad idea - restore the RRC and sell it. It could be worth enough to buy a Defender and all the other bits!

In the village I met a chap who had just bought a beautifully restored 1972 RRC for £18k !!! Looking at it though, it was better than most new RR's so probably worth it!

Si

It's not a bad idea - restore the RRC and sell it. It could be worth enough to buy a Defender and all the other bits!

In the village I met a chap who had just bought a beautifully restored 1972 RRC for £18k !!! Looking at it though, it was better than most new RR's so probably worth it!

Si

My hobby is not restoring cars its offroading, besides have you seen the price of Defenders in New Zealand?? I'm sure theres lots more money to be made in restoring other marques....

i'm going to go against what the others have said - and say upgrade your axles and fit lockers.

you WILL go further with centre diff lock and front + rear lockers than you would with flappy suspension.

Plus, whats the point in spending loads on suspension, when you might have to re-do it all to get the 35" tyres to fit?

I'd say fit Toyota or Nissan axles with lockers which then don't need upgrading, leaving enough spare cash for all the other bits...

Well I have looked into this and have been weighing up the pros and cons of both ways for some time but I dont really have the fab skills. I wouldn't know where to start really so paying someone would work out more in the long run and theres not many axles available with lockers so I would need to fit them adding to the cost. Also NIssan axles have huge diff heads so would need even bigger rubber to get the same clearance. 80 series axles here are well sought after and have the price tag to match also mostly Japanese spec down here with OPEN diffs so in the same boat with having to buy lockers. The Ashcroft lockers are 1/2 the price of and ARB down in NZ. Then theres the certification issues with the axle swap which is more money (300-500quid) Upgrading the Landy axles does not require to be certed.

So not as simple as you might think. :unsure:

I'd upgrade the back axle and maybe buy a winch unless you plan on swapping ratios for the bigger tyres.

With one 'indestructable' axle you dont have to be just as gentle as you know you can get home, and if you do get stuck you can play with the winch.

Will.

I'd upgrade the back axle and maybe buy a winch unless you plan on swapping ratios for the bigger tyres.

With one 'indestructable' axle you dont have to be just as gentle as you know you can get home, and if you do get stuck you can play with the winch.

Will.

Yeah I had thought about that as well but I do plan on fitting 4.12 CWP's so would be alot of work to swap that out when I do the front...