Intercooler Q's

hello, has anyone done the AlliSport intercooler upgrade for the 300 tdi? I'm thinking of doing it, but want to know if it's worth while or a case of the emperors new clothes! Also are the instructions for tuning the fuel pump as straight forward as Allisport say they are?

Thanks ted..

There's plenty of other options for a bigger intercooler which are a lot cheaper than the likes of alisport.I managed to squeeze an RS500 race spec cooler into mine.the cooler only cost me £120 brand new.have a look at my topics and you should find my write up."just upgraded my intercooler"

I bought an Allisport that goes into the stock position. Some grinding has to be made on the radiator frame to get it in, but that's quite easy to do. The instruction for the FIP is rather crude - just turn the diaphragm to max position... If it's smoking, turn back a little and test. I've left min at max without any excessive smoke clouds.

And yes, it wakens up the 300Tdi. :i-m_so_happy: Now, I've got the urge for this: http://bellautoservices.co.uk/products/vnt-vgt-turbo/300-tdi-vnt-vgt-turbo/ :blush:

I bought an Allisport that goes into the stock position. Some grinding has to be made on the radiator frame to get it in, but that's quite easy to do. The instruction for the FIP is rather crude - just turn the diaphragm to max position... If it's smoking, turn back a little and test. I've left min at max without any excessive smoke clouds.

And yes, it wakens up the 300Tdi. :i-m_so_happy: Now, I've got the urge for this: http://bellautoservices.co.uk/products/vnt-vgt-turbo/300-tdi-vnt-vgt-turbo/ :blush:

You can alter the pump quite a bit more than that with a standard intercooler... You'd have to say the instructions are carp.

I think i have a brunel standard size one on my 90 (came on a disco i bought) it has bigger tubes and wider spaced fins.

It made a slight difference at higher speeds say 60 and above but not alot at less. I think i would buy a front mount one if i was spending my own hard earned.

Will.

Tedsmart,

I fitted a GKN overdrive on a standard 300Tdi 110CSW and I could only just hold 60 MPH in 5th + OD on the level. I then had an AlliSport intercooler fitted, not the full width one, just the small option that replaces the original LR unit, and the FIP was turned up. I can now cruise comfortably in 5th + OD on most roads when I can keep the rpm above 2500. On highways and motorways this means most of the time. Out here, I'm in and out of OD like a fiddler's elbow. So, yes, getting a bigger IC is a good idea, coupled with tweaking the FIP, and it can give you a 10%+ boost in available power. But, if most of your mileage is on rural roads and below 60 mph, then you won't get much benefit!

Mike

Allisport also recommend a bit of advance of the FIP timing; that should reduce EGT and smoke. Re the full width allisport intercooler (with the FIP changes), it makes quite a difference to responsiveness and driveability, especially if you tow any significant weight. Mine fitted with no issues. But any decent size intercooler should do the same. Nigel

Allisport also recommend a bit of advance of the FIP timing; that should reduce EGT and smoke. Re the full width allisport intercooler (with the FIP changes), it makes quite a difference to responsiveness and driveability, especially if you tow any significant weight. Mine fitted with no issues. But any decent size intercooler should do the same. Nigel

Advancing the pump will also give you more turbo lag and higher cylinder pressures..

Though many people think i dont know what i'm talking about, you shouldnt need a big intercooler to get 150 bhp.. Just more knowledge on what the bosch ve pump can do.

What other things apart from the fuel pin and max fuel screw can be done? Mate of mine (works at diesel injection company) was trying to talk me into altering the govener to make it rev faster but i wasnt confident in asking 300 to do 5k!

Will.

What other things apart from the fuel pin and max fuel screw can be done? Mate of mine (works at diesel injection company) was trying to talk me into altering the govener to make it rev faster but i wasnt confident in asking 300 to do 5k!

Will.

the standard turbo wont supply enough air for that amount of rpm.

And sorry, but i'm not giving away my secrets until i've tried it myself.

Thanks for all the input. I have air con so the full size IC isn't an option. but the double size(100% IC that allisport do sounds good but how much grinding/pipe moving do I have to do? tempted to just go with the "standard!" 50% upgrade! what do u think?

Gent,s. 2 Put my 10 bob,s worth in.

I was going along. The same lines as yourself

But Looking. On Flee-bay I bought a brand new

RS Cosworth intercooler & it fit,s bang in the middle

Of the rad space. I had to move the rad 2 the middle of the

Space.the i/Cooler cost me £101.00 & that was with postage

So plenty of cash left over treated her to all new silicon hoses.

Moved a brand new 5 core heavey duty rad £135.00 including pp.

Into the middle of truck.I/coolerinfront. Pump tweaked & the resualts

were outstanding. Now the downside. Engine getting very hot,

& tempature reading high/into the red, on motorway,s so on 1 side gives your

**** hot performance But that,s the thing You have to live with. :-D

Now the downside. Engine getting very hot,

& tempature reading high/into the red, on motorway,s so on 1 side gives your

**** hot performance But that,s the thing You have to live with. :-D

When you fitted the intercooler did you do anything to prevent the airflow that would normally go through the radiator taking the easier route and going around the sides of the intercooler?

Hello Their,

The answer was yes. the old cowling was put back on with the electric fan fitted inside & then the rest of the space was filled with rubber so their were No gap's around the Rad or Intercooler. :i-m_so_happy: Hope this helps.

So could be a problem with over heating, not heard this off anyone else but thats what I want all the info i can, so thanks. I plan to put intercooler in myself and get the local Landrover expert to tune the fuel pump so will mention this to them. I really need more power to get me out of soft sand ruts that kill my power at the moment, I'm going fraser island in May so need as much power as is reasonable with the set up I'm running, traveling with a couple of cars namely a souped up Landcruiser and a standard Nissan Patrol, both with heaps more power that my donk!!

Cheers ted