Possible forum relay required Kent - Forest of dean?

Stevie D

Folks I'm in abit of a pickle - bought a roof rack off ebay a month or so ago and another forum member kindly collected and is storing it for me.

I need to get it across to Ireland and had a few options, but those folks are now unable to help. I have a courier company that will do it for a not unreasonable cost, but want it all bubble wrapped - lol.

Another possibilty has appeared on the opposite side of the country, courier want the same cash and same wraping for this short journey too.

It's a 2m x 1.4m patriot rack for a disco. Weighs in at 50kgs.

Is anybody able to help or recomend a friendly courier service? I don't mind paying for anyones time or fuel, that's the least of my worries.

Rack is currently in Kent and would need to get to The Forest of Dean for further transport over the Irish sea.

Cheers Steve

If it will fit on a 110 I might be able to get it to the Forest of Dean area for you on the May bank holiday weekend. But only if I manage to get the vehicle sorted out properly before the trip. Which I should be able to do...but not guaranteeing anything at this stage! :P

I am definitely heading back to Wales on the weekend of the 29th of April (probably leave Friday night or Saturday morning) and usually go through the Forest of Dean so like James if it'll fit in / on a 110 CSW (I have no bench seats in at the moment but do have a gun cabinet which isn't a biggie to remove) then I can do Surrey to Forest of Dean (or further west if it's advantageous) since I'm heading to near the Pembrokeshire / Carmarthenshire border.

Where abouts in Kent is it?

Gents, thanks for the prompt replies it's currently in Near Ringwould near Dover, just off the A258, and needs to go to the edge of the Forest of Dean near Lydney just off the A48 from where it'll be taken back over to the Emerald Isle in the next month or so.

The rack will go onto a defender roof without any issues but I don't think you'd be able to get both sets of gutter clamps into a defender's gutters, my defender is 150 miles away but the roof rack measures 1490mm accross the gutter feet, from memory the disco roof is slightly wider 5-6mm? However it was collected on a series 88", albeit only 15 miles, and upside down lol...

20022012575.jpg

I'm more than happy to run it down to the Forest of Dean however if someone's able to get it a bit closer to Surrey then it would be most appreciated. I could run down to Ringwould and back but if someone else can save me the four hour round trip then I'm all for it.

I'm more than happy to run it down to the Forest of Dean however if someone's able to get it a bit closer to Surrey then it would be most appreciated. I could run down to Ringwould and back but if someone else can save me the four hour round trip then I'm all for it.

Your a gentleman Ed... So That's the final part of the journey sorted then!

I'll see what I can do wouldn't expect you to go out of your way in the wrong direction, just goggle mapped it - I'll see if anybody else can help?

Many thanks, Steve

having looked at the above picture, it looks like it could be all unbolted :)

That was part of the original plan - but they have a habit of all the bolts siezing dure to a sort of galvanic corrosion between the stainless and ali parts - so the heads all break off the stainless bolts. The newer vesrsions now use a special sort of grease / sealant to help avoid this - this ones quite old.

Steve