No Fan Whatsoever

I didn't say it stopped pulling air through the rad altogether. There is a considerable difference between airflow when the engine has just been started, and when the needle is touching the red. A properly working Viscous coupling can be stopped when its cold, thats the test for whether its functioning correctly.

Ah yes but ! ! When the needle on a Defender temperature gauge is in the "normal" position. Then the temperature of the engine could be 88 Deg C. OR ot could be 95Deg C or even 100Deg C.....So when the needle hits the red, the damage could already have been done.

If you need a power steering breather do you not need breathers on the master cylinders?

Interesting point... the power steering fluid will be warm as it's constantly circulating..... when you dip the whole lot in water this will cool it down and suck air/water in the breather hole ...... would brake fluid be warm in the reservoir?

I think you'll find that it's not the depth of the water but the length of time the water covered the wings. Certainly my enforced bonnet covering in Botswana didn't shew anty water had entered the engine compartment. It must have done but the engime bay looked dry inside once I reached dry land.

Interesting point... the power steering fluid will be warm as it's constantly circulating..... when you dip the whole lot in water this will cool it down and suck air/water in the breather hole ...... would brake fluid be warm in the reservoir?

No, but when you use the brake or the clutch, fluid leaves the reservoir and goes to the relevant cylinder - air rushes in to replace the displaced fluid....when you take your boot off the pedal the air gets pushed out again - there's usually a breather hole in the cap.

No one has mentioned a smaller fan?

An engine fan can help stop the heat build up around the turbo, so it's good to have one. But no reason it should be the full OE desert size in colder climates.

If your S1 ran too cold, you removed the shroud and maybe two of the four blades.

If it holds oil, it's now got a breather pipe on my truck :)

when you use the brake or the clutch, fluid leaves the reservoir and goes to the relevant cylinder - air rushes in to replace the displaced fluid

Not from the reservoir it does not. As soon as the peddle moves, a valve closes to close off the reservoir and fluid is displaced down the pipes to the brakes or clutch slave cylinders by the piston moving in the cylinder. Air is drawn into the back of the cylinder behind the piston as the piston moves forward. When the peddle is released and the piston moves back, this air is expelled again.

As the brake linings wear, fluid is drawn from the reservoir to allow the pistons to sit further out in the callipers/slave cylinders. On any given braking operation this would amount to micro litres of fluid, (possibly less!) not the several millilitres you are apparently suggesting.

Chris