Caliper overhaul

Morning,

I have stripped my front brake calipers as per the "How to By Les".

The 4 bolts that hold the 2 halfs together are shot.

Does any one have a part number for these?

Also the small "o-ring" can you get this or what can i use.

The calipers are off a 98' R plated 300tdi Disco.

Thanks

The gallery seals might not be available as a Land Rover part but the suppliers of stainless steel pistons will supply them with their kits, so it might be worth contacting them to see if they'll do them on their own. Have a read of this ebay listing www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260644265752

Gallery seals are readily available. See here for example:

http://www.shop4autoparts.net/Defender/Brakes/Discs,Calipers-&-Drums?filter_action=3&filter_value=2

I used 17H8764L in my standard 90/110 calipers along with stainless pistons from Zeus without any issues. The seals that came out were in good condition, and identical to the new ones I fitted. I haven't actually fitted them to the car yet, but they went together okay!

As above - gallery seals are available. I purchased some from the place in James' link recently along with new bleed nipples. I also got the stainless piston kit from Zeus. I'm in the middle of painitng the calipers ATM. Having taken two pairs apart now and found the bottom galleries blocked with black/rubber gunk in 3/4 calipers, i think i'd always split them from now on to check that this is not the case.

I think for the bolts you may have to try and get them from a 'bolts' shop since i doubt there will be a LR part number for them as they say not to split them. Anyone thats converted an old pair of calipers to vented might have the old bolts knocking about as i would think the vented conversion would need longer bolts because of the spacer. In fact Zeus might supply the bolts since they sell the spacer kits hence might know the spec of the 'normal' ones.

I remember that the o ring is one part that is not available and so is reused.

There maybe a new known supply since my news is a little old.

The fluid seal is avaliable & I've just posted a link/part number in the part numbers forum.

You *must* make sure the bolts are proper high-tensile ones: clean up the heads and you should be able to still read the tensile-strength marking (will probably be something like "10.8" stamped on the top.

A decent industrial-fastener supplier will then be able to match the thread, length and tensile-rating.

--Tanuki.