new project ideas help.

discomikey

Right. so once the fergie is built and the trip is done. then the series 2 is done. it leaves me with a spare series 3.

origionally i was going to rebuild it and respray it and get rid of it for a bit of a profit.

but i now want to make a series hill racer/track day car. as something a little different. There are some things im certian about. heres the spec so far:

• definately having leaves but not parabolic as it will obviously be cornering hard.
  • definately a truck cab
  • definately having a full external cage
  • on standard axles
  • as origional general looks wise as possible bar the rollcage and a few other small bits
  • period looking modifications, but SAFE

after that. i dont know what its going to be, engine wise or wheelbase wise.

TD5. Either way, the only box that might take it would be a 2a box. but would it take it? if not. i suppose im looking at a stage 1/early RRC box and transfer box. which means ideally i need C.Vs in the front axle.

then, all this would just fit into an 88" wheelbase but is hardly ideal for racing about. so i was thinking something along the lines of slightly longer chassis. a/la 100" but, maybe 100" is a bit long. something more like 94" wheelbase. obviously the vehicle would be IVA'd and MSA spec.

the liscencing etc would come after. when i have the money. but for now (when ive done the others) it would be a nice project to make something unique.

if im going to modify the chassis. maybe im better off going 109" in the first place as the bodywork can all be used too?

Rover V8 or mod the 2.25 petrol? Plenty of tech out there for doing both of these and you can keep the series gearbox.

A later box doesn't mean you'll need front CV's though, just mod the TX box to part-time 4wd.

Oh dear, oh dear, what have you been drinking/sniffing................

If its for road racing...................

Thats a terrible idea for the money and time involved........Getting any sort of good placing is out of the question from the get go. Anyway good luck on your quest.

If its for offroad then its another story, but the suspension will limit your expectations.............

I would like to see it done anyway..................

G

Racing about on standard axles, gearbox and brakes is going to be unreliable and not very fast. Standard suspension won't take the beating if you're off the tarmac, you'll need good shocks (as in more than £50 a corner) and the lack of PAS could get wearing.

Longer wheelbase is better in racing.

You don't need CV's if you run permanent 4x4, it's a "nice to have", or you can convert to RWD. A TD-anything is going to be slow unless you tune it, and doing that properly will cost £££, if you're just after tearing about for some fun then the RV8 is still the best value in hp/£ terms. Modding the 2.25p would be my choice for novelty factor.

Personally if the spare Series is anywhere near decent I'd sell it and use the proceeds to build something proper (or buy a track day car) rather than hack a Series about for the sake of it and end up with a ruined Series that doens't actually perform.

There was an article in one of the landy magazines (LRO??) a few years ago about a bloke that took a series 1 80 inch, series 3 transmission, axles etc then race tuned a 5 bearing 2.25.

To top it all off he fitted an Eaton supercharger from a Cooper S! :blink:

It looked like quite a hoot and was apparently quite fast.

Engine wise I would probably fit a chipped bmw 525TDS motor, or a merc OM616 converted to mechanical pump and turbo. I had the first in an E30 and boy it was QUICK! That, in a lowered Series on street tires would be pretty awesome. No way I would use standard axles though, too unreliable and crappy brakes for what it needs to do.

Lower it like that Series I 80" of which pictures have been on this forum.. the one that was practically on the ground... looked awesome!

Just to show that ANYTHING is possible....

2012-05-26074141.jpg

That's a VW Jetta with an OM616 with mechanical IP with bigger plungers, it gets a Holset HX35 or 55 turbo, huge intercooler, it's got a BMW gearbox with a merc part of the bellhousing welded onto the beemer gearbox. Rear axle is from an E30 bmw... Engine will produce around 450hp/800nm and it will be streetlegal..

Anything is possible... Make that Series WILD! :D

I think it's a great idea! It's not like S3's are super rare yet, so if you ever have that dream do it now!

Suspension wise I would fit a Salisbury rear axle for strength, either fit a panhard bar or watts linkage to the rear, along with a heavy duty ladderbar/antiwrap so the movement of the rear axle becomes more predictable, in the front I would probably build/buy some sort of McPherson system to get the handling spot on, with this combo it would even be great at going fast off road! Then it's up to you to decide whether or not to have 2WD or 4WD, you won't really need 4WD so you could save the money, and spend them on proper suspension parts as these clearly will be key to this build.

Engine wise I too would choose petrol without a seconds doubt, again either RV8 or mod the 2,25 or better yet racetune a 2,5 off of a defender, about 140-150 HP should be doable with the right amount of thought and and time.

yes, i am more after hill rally racer type rather than on road, but as i say, i would take it to track days. i think ill probably start with a LWB and decide what wheelbase i want to end up with. as for brakes as a few of you have mentioned, i have a disk conversion developed using standard LR parts, which i will at some point be fitting to Brian too.

regards braking performance, a set of series drums are plenty adequate if theyre kept up to scratch. the problem is keeping them up to scratch. this is where disks will benefit, as after 10 miles of hard driving you can more or less completely wear out brake shoes if youre really going for it. (although that time, i had just sunk it in a mud hole too, so im guessing that acted as a grinding paste)

rear axle, will be salisbury, as will front if i can get hold of one.

i was thinking of some sort of rear wheel biased permanent 4wd thing. would a viscous coupled xfer box beas towards rear or front

also thinking standard looking 101 wheels with spacers so its got a fair stance for stability.

anti roll bars

anti tramp etc.

steering wise, ill stick with manual steering for now. as i dont find it too bad for everyday driving/off roading even with a small steering wheel. this, along with suspension set ups, i will be able to change when the vehicle is finished and if i see fit.

the project wont start for a while yet though as i need to finish the series 2 and build up the other series 3.