doors what series door will fit my defender?

Plus you'll have to swap the latches etc. over as they differ (unless your 90 is very early).

Personally I wouldn't bother, Series doors are a bit rubbish really. Defender doors are not much better as most are knackered, but at least the windows seal and keep some of the wind/rain out!

If you convert to Series doors, go for SIII anti-burst types. All SIII doors use check rods that have A-post brackets which share bolt holes with the Defender check rod track bracket, making them preferable to SII doors. Early doors didn't have anti-burst locks, so doors could pop open with bumps or twists.

You'd need the doors halves, the check straps, locks and striker catches.pins for the B-pillars. They rot even faster than Defender doors, so you'd probably be looking at new items. I think you'd be better off with second hand Defender doors - they're much safer, seal better and have way better visibility and ventilation.

But the series windows are quicker to open!!!

I second the anti-burst latches idea - the standard series latches are quite entertaining when the body flexes!

G.

i just bought a set from deeside 4x4 - series 3/defender door conversion, for £200 a side you get door bottom, door top (glazed), window lock, waist seal, anti-burst door lock, trim for the top of the door bottom and the striker - all brand new -- britpart yes but iv got them fitted up now and theres absolutley nowt wrong with them. Deeside4x4.com (very friendly and helpful service)

My doors were new from a chap on eBay and I got the alloy tops from Richards in Chasetown along with the anti burst latches and locks and seals.

What started out as a cheapish replacement job then got a bit expensive in the true Land Rover style with the cost of new doors, tops and locks and latches and seals as the door bottoms come grey primer bare as standard.

Oh and I had to drill the outer skin to accept the lock cylinder mechanism :wacko:

I like the simple doors and they suit my early 90 but they are not for everyone because they are clunky and draughty.

I've been driving ex MOD 90's around for years and never had a problem with wind or rain coming through the sliding door tops?? (unless the window's open :huh: ) The glass seals well, and with a little time spent on adjustment, the doors seal just fine - they can gape a little at the top sometimes but the frame can be bent inwards with care.

And in my own experience they don't rot anywhere near as fast or as chronicaly as wind up window doors, which are full of moisture traps and rot from the insides out.

They do let more road noise through though, but the big plus is more leg and elbow room.

Well its looking like the seriesIII doors are 1/4 the price as the nornal defender ones and noise can be dampend with a bit of insulation. Got to sound proof the whole cab anyway at some point so might as well do the doors too.