Range Rover : Vogue - Armoured

fozsug

I suppose its worth £ 30k if you are protecting a diplomat or ' superstar', but you would need alot of work to pay to fuel it, to keep it running, surely it can only do 8 - 10 to the gallon at that weight!

You can drive it on your normal car license but I would advise anyone who wants to drive it to get some training-think HGV weight but on a smaller scale and that's £165000 + to buy it new too! I was using armoured Ford excursions-for 4-1/2 years and know very well what they can stand up to-this is a B6 category armoured vehicle and will/should withstand anything up a suicide car bomber and beyond as was found out by our other team when I was working in Mosul northern Iraq

John

Mav,

Armoured glass on vehicles normally has the large black ring around the edge of it-It's part of the reinforcement for the edge of the glass that is bonded into the bodywork

John

This http://www.mod-sales...ange_Rover_.htm has just gone up on Witham's site, at nearly 4 tons!

What licence would you need to drive it?!

The kind of places where you'd drive it isn't the kind of place where the police are too bothered about driving licence categories, and if they are, $50-100 is folding ones will usually take care of that....But as JBS has said you'd better have the training to know how to drive it....

And I think on balance, I'd prefer my armour plating to be discrete :i-m_so_happy:

I'd say the idea of making it look less obviously armoured is that whomever wants you dead won't just up the scale of their ordnance straight away.

Correct ;)

Discreet armouring is the name of the game with LR.

You can drive it on your normal car license but I would advise anyone who wants to drive it to get some training-think HGV weight but on a smaller scale and that's £165000 + to buy it new too! I was using armoured Ford excursions-for 4-1/2 years and know very well what they can stand up to-this is a B6 category armoured vehicle and will/should withstand anything up a suicide car bomber and beyond as was found out by our other team when I was working in Mosul northern Iraq

John

Is that a normal car license for old people those who passed their test before 1997? :P

Ross, It was the weight of the vehicle I was on about mate, you could drive one on a UK road with your car license as it is for all intents and purposes a car-It's just armoured thats all and as someone has already pointed out "The kind of places where you'd drive it isn't the kind of place where the police are too bothered about driving licence categories"

But a decent amount of training would be needed to be able to use the vehicle as a weapon If necessary and also a few other driving techniques for hostile environments such as Iraq/Afghanistan etc, The ford excursions I used for 4-1/2 years had a 6L TDI, weighed in at 6 tonnes all up with men-firearms and equipment and they still did over 100 MPH too, so training to use them properly-In anger if you like was a necessity on a regular basis.

John

Barry they stopped very well- 6 pot callipers on the front with vented brake disc's and unfortunately we had to get the callipers-discs and pads changed every 30 days as the heat generated from the continual heavy braking caused the pistons to "crumble" for a better word, they also changed the brake fluid at the same time too

John

Barry they stopped very well- 6 pot callipers on the front with vented brake disc's and unfortunately we had to get the callipers-discs and pads changed every 30 days as the heat generated from the continual heavy braking caused the pistons to "crumble" for a better word, they also changed the brake fluid at the same time too

John

Thats probably what the boot full of spares is!

Yes it's a very short brake life,when you've got the threat of losing your's and the clients live's when you're in a place like northern Iraq then you tended to drive round most of the time like you stole them-we had to be very aggressive at times when we were travelling around up there

Ross, It was the weight of the vehicle I was on about mate, you could drive one on a UK road with your car license as it is for all intents and purposes a car-It's just armoured thats all and as someone has already pointed out "The kind of places where you'd drive it isn't the kind of place where the police are too bothered about driving licence categories"

But a decent amount of training would be needed to be able to use the vehicle as a weapon If necessary and also a few other driving techniques for hostile environments such as Iraq/Afghanistan etc, The ford excursions I used for 4-1/2 years had a 6L TDI, weighed in at 6 tonnes all up with men-firearms and equipment and they still did over 100 MPH too, so training to use them properly-In anger if you like was a necessity on a regular basis.

John

I was on about the weight too John, I passed my test in '08.... so after 1997 which means my license is limited to 3500kgs MAM :(

John

Did you mean pads to crumble? If not what were they making the pistons out of?