Does the bearing look new?

mikec

is it from your gearbox...

i would be replacing that, but even if you wouldnt normally, i would replace it anyway if its in the gearbox, because then you know its new and it aint gona be a problem at any time soon.

Can't see a bearing but the race is not in great shape and will cause damage to the bearing later, I take it someone has sold you a unit as recon with new bearings?

They could be new but look like they have been put in with a hammer!!

Jason.

Can't see a bearing but the race is not in great shape and will cause damage to the bearing later, I take it someone has sold you a unit as recon with new bearings?

They could be new but look like they have been put in with a hammer!!

Jason.

Are you looking at the marks on the bottom? That's where I'm worried about, the front and rear bearings look worse than the middle ones. Thing is how big of a job is it to change. Looks a right pain! Worried now about the rest of the bearings on it. So much for lr recon stuff!

Are you looking at the marks on the bottom? That's where I'm worried about, the front and rear bearings look worse than the middle ones. Thing is how big of a job is it to change. Looks a right pain! Worried now about the rest of the bearings on it. So much for lr recon stuff!

That lookes well mullered to me!!! Cam bearings are easy to swap... Line boring them on a horizontal borer after changing them isnt widely regarded as a job you can do at home. Fitting and boring a TDi block (i'm rebuilding my 200TDI at the minute) was quoted as £135 + vat.

Don't know to be honest, I know you can buy ready sized ones for 40 quid so the same again for fitting I don't find to bad.

Does it need to be bored?

If you want the bearings in line and the cam to run true and free, Yes.

Will the engine run fine without them bored, Yes.

But why go to that effort and do half a job?

If you want the bearings in line and the cam to run true and free, Yes.

Will the engine run fine without them bored, Yes.

But why go to that effort and do half a job?

Suppose so but I'm not sure anywhere local that would do it, if anyone knows anyone in the north west area could you let me know.

I had another look today and had a feel of it and the first one has a noticeable ridge on it, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement, if this is how lr recon'd their engines no wonder so many v8's had problems. Will have a look at the mains etc when I strip it, hopefully they'll be new!

I rang turners today, the lady I spoke to was very nice but basically said they hadn't really been asked to fit them before and the price for the same on a 4cyl would be 130, she said they weren't that hard to fit.

Acr are looking favourite at the minute tho I don't think they do the line boring. I've one more company to try, eda in Leeds I'll repost when I get sorted

I rang turners today, the lady I spoke to was very nice but basically said they hadn't really been asked to fit them before and the price for the same on a 4cyl would be 130, she said they weren't that hard to fit.

Acr are looking favourite at the minute tho I don't think they do the line boring. I've one more company to try, eda in Leeds I'll repost when I get sorted

Ah yes, Frida is very knowledgable and helpful. She obviously doesn't remember them doing mine, it was only 15-ish years ago :lol: They weren't even doing much with V8s back then. It was all 4-cyl engines (2.25 & 2.5 Ps, Ds and Tdi) at the time.

Well it was from eBay, I bought it when there was a load on there or lr "recons" about two years ago. I'm currently looking for the receipt though not sure where I stand with regards to it being so long ago. I sort of wasn't bothered about the cam bearings and put it down to a mistake but stuff like that is beyond, the thing is, say I'd been fitting it to a p38, I'd of shoved it in without looking! It had rocker covers on it when I bought it.