Does the bearing look new?

mikec

TBH, I'd strip it right down and start again, at least the parts are clean for you, but if they haven't replaced bearing then what hope do you have for seals and piston rings?

It is rather disappointing when this sort of things happens, I know :(

I've never heard of line boring white metal shell bearings. Line bore the housing that the bearing is pressed into sure but not the bearing itself. If anything, mark the cam journals with engineers blue and lightly hand scrape if it is tight.

To be honest that bearing doesn't look that bad, I've seen a lot worse that ran without issue. Have you measured the clearance?

The white metal is there in part to hold dirt rather than let it damage the crank. So it looks worse than it often is. But that has the attributes of an engine that was built up with dirt in the galleries.

Everyone hopes their newly built engine doesn't look like that inside (especially me having just done mine) but you wouldn't know until you stripped it down. Therefore, I think the crank will be okay with a polish as long as it is within tolerance and isn't oval or tapered. I mean, they run okay when old with copper showing and the running face all shapes!

Still a sad state of affairs to buy somthing you thought was good and find all that lot :(

Well the company I bought it off has been in touch today. They won't send it back to lr, but want a parts list of what it needs,and are going to see what they can do, so what do people think head gaskets, main bearings, big end bearings, valve stem seals, cam bearings., rear crank seal. Have I missed anything? What about bolts are head bolts etc all reusable? Cheers

id get new headbolts, and a crank polish at least, if not a undersize grind and matching shells. take a look at the cam in a similar light too.

id look to see if they'd replaced the piston rings too, and check the head/s to check theyve been skimmed.

would be tempted to get new locking tabs where applicable too.

Take the rings ( top and second) off off the piston carefully with a feeler gauge and fit the rings into the bore one at a time and measure the gap in the rings. That will give a good indication on how worn the 'new' rings may be. Haynes book of lies should give figures for this. Unless you have access to a Bowers type internal micrometer measuring the bores properly is difficult.

If this is a freshly built engine you should see the cross hatching left by honing clearly in the bores. You don't want to be seeing a bald and polished patch and no cross hatching on the thrust side of each bore. The piston skirts shouldn't be showing evidence of wear.

£1500 is border line for parts on a V8 if you are going to do everything properly. I reached this easily when costing out a rebuild for my 3.5 in my 110 and I can get everything trade

There's cross hatching on the bores but also one or two small scratches going In the direction of piston travel. I'll get a ring off and see.

The £1.5k is just what I paid for it think the proper price was £3.5k!

There's cross hatching on the bores but also one or two small scratches going In the direction of piston travel. I'll get a ring off and see.

The £1.5k is just what I paid for it think the proper price was £3.5k!

That sounds like its only been glaze busted, whats the wearing surface of the rings look like as new will be either a ground finish or on iron rings possibly a finish turned finish.

That white bit on the ring in the last pic seems like some sort of paint, or something

I've also had an offer from the company for new bearings (main, big end and cam) new head gaskets, valve stem seals and one or two other gaskets free of charge, but the more I think about it the more Im not keen. If it was a new block then it'd be a different thing, but I'm not sure what's actually been done to this engine recon wise.

as long as it is within spec, and clean, and without serious damage to any of the major components, there is no reason not to take the new parts offer and rebuild it yourself.

can you feel the vertical scratches in the bores with your fingernail?