200 tdi Rear Crankshaft oil seal fitting

Can I just check a couple of points.

Looking at the official manual, A proper tools is used to set the depth of the seal. Without the tool how far should the oil seal be pressed in. I'm assuming to the bottom of the flywheel housing?

Also the manual shows the plastic installation sleeve being remove from the seal and placed on the end of the crankshaft and then the flywheel housing being offered up to it.

This is correct isnt it?... I dont know why I thought last time i did one the sleeve stayed on the flywheel side of the housing?

Thanks

Nick

I thought the plastic sleeve was to stop the seal getting damaged while sliding onto the crank? I did one last week and there was no way I could get the seal over the crank nose without deforming it without using the plastic sleeve. That said, I couldn't get it over with the sleeve provided with the Bearmach oil seal either, but it slipped on easily with the sleeve I had from a Britpart 300tdi oil seal.

Is that just me being overly sensitive though?? I was under the impression you had to be really careful with the seal lip or it will leak if you so much as touch it.

Kettle's new seal came with a fitting sleeve and I fitted that over the crank with the sleeve, which was then discarded. I did however notice that there was something in the back, but not having the time to investigate further I left it there on the basis of it was working before! Should it have been there...whatever it is?

No, not in the seal itself, in the back of the recess for the seal, either the flywheel housing or the block, not sure which. I refitted the new seal flush with the face of the flywheel housing, as the old one was, and all seems well.

• 2 weeks later...

the manual i have says send the seal all the way home into the flywheel housing as the machined face in the back will make sure the seal is fitted square.

think you just use the plastic bit to get the seal to start over the end of the crank without damaging it.

I did a seal the other day and fit it flush with the flywheel housing after reading up on the net, needless to say ill be taking the engine out again next week and doing as my manual says.