reversing camera kit

western

Ah brill, :i-m_so_happy:

we have a Maplins in Truro, recently opened, but I can't get there this week, don't finish work till 5.30, so they'll be closed, :unsure:

I'm not in a mad rush, my other option was to swap the plug at one end but don't want to cut the cable if avoidable, managed to hold the 2 male pins together & the signal from rear view cam goes through, needs to be a bit more fail safe though :rofl:

Thanks very much, a PM heading to you shortly. :i-m_so_happy:

Sorry for the slow response, been out all day, I ran the cable up the mirror and the removed the passenger side sun visor and the two plastic rivet things above the passenger door and pulled the headlining down slightly and stuck the cable up behind it..the cable then runs along the passenger side inside roof gutter.

On the 90 that takes the cable to about 1 foot from the back - this was not quite long enough and as the extension cable supplied was 5m I did not want to use that. Had a hunt about and found some audio cable with the same plugs & it was two core, used that as it was just the right length and it seams to work fine ---- so if you have an old stereo or audio cables laying about Ralf they will work and you never know you may have the plug you need.

All my power comes from the back as mentioned before so I did not need to remove the dash.

Where I run the supply and earth down the sides of the back door I used binder plastic like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rigid-Edge-trim-Binder-Bar-edging-white-black-blue-red-yellow-uPVC-/261141008995?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3ccd379263 they work a treat and clamp the wire or wires to the internal door frame edge and also cost buttons.

Camera is like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-CAR-REAR-VIEW-PARKING-REVERSING-CAMERA-154-WIDE-ANGLE-kL26-/281027778434?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item416e8f9782 but does not have the LED;s been in my garage for over 5 years, it came with a car stereo. This one looks better but same body style.

I use one of these twin camera arrangements on my parents camper occasionally, in this case we didn't bother wiring it up to the reverse switch, as when you start reversing you want the high up view first of all and then when you get close or are hitching up you want the downward pointing one activated -I don't know about the one you have, but there's a button on the screen on the camper which allows you to change camera manually, which we find to be better in all honesty.

Cheers Frax, for the info, Simon119 has offered a inline connector which will do the job well, my wires run from right rear corner along inner roof gutter to front screen drivers side frame, got the 2nd camera in a similar place to yours, gives a good rear view, wired into the plain green wire of rear wiper motor & a suitable earth. when the connector gets here, it's just about completed.

Bowie -- mirror/screen has a touch key to change from on/off AV1 & AV2, & reverse camera wired to only come on when reverse selected.

Temporary connection of the rear view camera done, got to tidy up the excess wiring later, been on a short test drive with it working, looks wierd but usefull.

only downside is the coloured lines appearing with the rear view cam live, They are useful for the reverse cam but a bit pointless with rear view, IIRC earlier someone said the lines are a function of the mirror/screen unit & not the camera's.

maybe I'll swap both cams for the CCD variants at a later date.

I don't know why your one has lines, looks like the same one as I have and I do not have any lines. The one pointing back does its job but I have found that the weather has a big part to play on the quality of the image. It can show you the camera image and you still get the mirror effect on top.

It is not a problem as you can just shut the camera off if required.

Got mine running on the bench (my monitor has the lines) so ready to install but one question. What sort of bracket do you use to mount the camera to the body?

It obviously needs to stand off the body so the camera can see past the spare wheel and need to fine tune the angle it points down.

Cheers

Malcolm

I used a short length of alloy U channel, it's 4mm thick & 25mm x 50mm, I can send you a 22cm length if you want it., mines the black part my reverse camera is attached too in the photo's I posted earlier in this thread.

had the rear view camera running on Saturday, had my speclift trailer hitched on & a broken rally car strapped on, just used the cam. to keep a eye on the load/trailer, it worked quite well.

Warning to all.

Had my landy stolen the other week, it was recovered but lots missing and damage.

Including the screen for the rear view camera.

Anyway the camera and screen are not covered under vehicle insurance as they are not a land rover fitted item. I was "advised" to claim on my home insurance for personal effects.

Also the same for the dog guard.

In the end they admitted that I had cover up to £200 for stuff in the car but it wouldnt cover everything and they wanted proof of purchase and photo evidence of the fitting.

So at the least keep the receipts and photo the fittings in the car so you have evidence.

Gordon

• 8 months later...