reversing camera kit

western

Thanks for the pictures chaps, very useful!

. My personal choice is a 7" monitor (stand mounted) with three switchable cameras 1. to rear view. 1 viewing the tow hitch and 1 viewing the winch..

Rovernut, I guess the 4th picture you couldn’t upload was of the tow-hitch-facing camera. Where have you got that mounted, on the spare carrier or somesuch? Also, how are you doing the 3 camera switching? All the screens I’ve looked at so far only have 2 selectable inputs. I would assume a std double-pole two-way switch is too ‘noisy’ to use?

I've seen several on the Ebay, but just none I'd want to have hanging around the cockpit of a 110 - they're all a bit bulky. For my application I doubt I'll need 3 cameras anyway - The tow-hitch/rear camera can be combined. Rovernut has 3 because he has a truck cab so presumably can't see his hitch from the rear view camera.

I do like the idea of a winch camera though! Very spangly, and frankly given the little lipstick cameras can be had for less than a tenner, why not?

Your guesses are pretty good. The tow hitch camera is mounted in the crossmember reccess. and lack of view from the truck cab is the reason for fitting it..

cameras 1 & 2 are switched by the control box but both are on AV1 and there is a direct connection for vidio on the side of the monitor that uses AV2

• 1 month later...

finished fitting mine, used the existing mirror arm with a plate bolted to it for the screen/mirror to grip, camera is above the rear door on the end face of roof, seems to be working, but I haven't wired it into reverse lights, just into a ignition controlled feed,so it can be switched on from the mirror/screen or remote when required. the coloured lines on the video are part of the system & can't be deleted as far as I know, they are at the top because the camera is mounted vertically looking down instead of horizontal looking rearwards, might need to do a bit of fine tuning on the camera bracket too. maybe a angled insert between camera & bracket would help.

IMG_0729.thumb.jpg.e6192a959edfa20c466354723ecd83bb.jpg

IMG_0726.thumb.jpg.95c491ef46b877fc544c5cf3d13d5ee2.jpg

IMG_0728.thumb.jpg.05bd2bc63a28f3b18604e83b73b00080.jpg

IMG_0723.thumb.jpg.e27d685b43d59208d809204cb2756ead.jpg

IMG_0724.thumb.jpg.36129c90a44c985e5141b4918b280d3d.jpg

IMG_0730.thumb.jpg.cb668aacadfb7e970a8dfd59138ff9f8.jpg

IMG_0731.thumb.jpg.e692c762baf64caf1de0bc2699123723.jpg

IMG_0736.thumb.jpg.a0070d0ff92512a7823ea4fe5f39bb74.jpg

just played with mine now it's dark, seems I need to find a ign controlled feed at the rear so the camera switches off otherwise the infra red part stays powered up.when vehicle is off, going to try [weather permitting] tomorrow to sort that & see what the blue wire does when connected to reverse light feed.

Ive got a very similar kit to yours western.

Done something similar with a bracket behind the camera above the door.

But I dont have the parkinglines.

Its a pity I cant see the tow bar, due to the spare wheel, but parking in reverse is so much easier now and I dont leave loads of space when I loose the car behind me behind the spare wheel.

My screen is a little wider but less tall and fits tightly on the rear view mirror with a similar fitting method.

Does vibrate a bit sometimes and makes the rear vision a little blurry. but clear enough.

These are a must now as they are so cheap.

Gordon

repositioned the power wire for the camera into the reverse light circuit, it now only operates when reverse is selected, also moved the camera to get a better rear view, just a temp fix for now but it'll hold for a while.

some pics of the results of this mornings fix.

IMG_0732.thumb.jpg.c63bcf1bfb23005d8db4beb6179e587a.jpg

in the photo the blue bit at bottom of screen is my spare wheel & cover, so the little tweek has given me a much better rear view.

Those mirror monitors are good aren't they. I don't have parking lines on mine, must be a function of the camera.

I currently have a small very wide camera with no IR which gives too much of a distorted view so I'm probably going to mount that behind the spare pointing at the hitch and use a standard CCD camera with IR above the door. The mirror has two video inputs and it's easy to switch between them.

Those mirror monitors are good aren't they. I don't have parking lines on mine, must be a function of the camera.

I currently have a small very wide camera with no IR which gives too much of a distorted view so I'm probably going to mount that behind the spare pointing at the hitch and use a standard CCD camera with IR above the door. The mirror has two video inputs and it's easy to switch between them.

wondered if the coloured lines were from the camera or mirror unit, think you might have just confirmed my thoughts,

which camera have you got please ?

This is what I currently have fitted above the back door, as you can see in the link it gives a very distorted view but is fine for close reversing. If the spare wheel wasn't on the back, I'd probably see the hitch as well. http://shop.reversin...roducts/CAM071W

I'll probably fit one of these as the main camera, I thought it would be too big but having seen the one on my brother in law's 130 I reckon it will be fine with a bit of modding to the mount.

http://shop.reversin...Products/CAM061

Alternative would be to mount a bullet camera in a custom housing. I tow 14 and 16ft Ifor Williams trailers regularly and a camera is handy for keeping an eye on the load and LH reversing, my current camera isn't much good for that.

Good thread this.

I've been wanting to fit one of these for years as I always leave about 6 feet behind me when reversing just in case but often end up getting out a few times to make sure.

Now the prices are about the price of a bottle of whisky it's time to install one.

I decided to get one of these too, as per the ebay link

The camera is wired to the reverse light, the monitor on the ignition.

When not in reverse the monitor shows a bright blue screen and the words no signal, as the camera is off

I tried conecting the blue wire ( called green in the instructions) to 12v and this switches between av1 and av2. However all i've achieved is switching between one blue screen and another.

Is there a way to make it switch to a black screen when not reversing, so i can use it as a mirror, without the use of the on/off button. I thought the blue wire might switch it in and out of standby but that doesnt seem to work.

Secondly, where is a god place to find a 12v when reversing feed at the front end of a 90?

Thanks

I used a ign feed behind the instrument pack to power my mirror/screen, thanks for trying the 'blue' [green] wire, I won't bother trying to connect it now, like you I was hoping it would switch the screen on/off when reverse is selected. mine shows a blue display when on & not in reverse gear.

I just bought one of these kits:

http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Products/R401/SubProducts/R401B10

And it's bloody good! It's the combination of their highest resolution small 4.3" screen and best camera. Most of the Chinese cameras ship with CMOS cameras which are lousy for this type of application. Buy a CCD camera if possible.

The screen has replaced my rear view mirror and it's very clear. Screen shuts down when the camera is off so completely black and the image quality, even in poor light is the best I've ever seen!

10 out of 10!

Si