Turning - What can I make that is useful for a Defender

Big.Mike

An Aluminium Gear Knob? Nice mixture of cutting curves, a taper, a thread (M10) and parting off as well as drilling, facing & possibly boring. It covers most of what you will ever do on a Lathe.

When they send you on the Milling course - you can engrave the H pattern and lettering on the top!

Or, taking it a bit further, you could bore out the middle from the face with the lettering. Then make a perspex plug which pushes into the void against a shoulder. Fit an LED in the void and stick a label showing the H pattern to the underside of the perspex plug. Then you could have an Illuminated Aluminium Gear Knob! You would have to run the wires down the gearstick - but that's not the end of the world. You could sleeve it with heat-shrink tubing.

You could use an incandecent bulb - then it would heat the knob too!

Si

Quick drawing. Dimensions approximate but close.

post-74-0-08252100-1349369044_thumb.jpg

I'm doing the opposite! I'm making a polycarbonate gear knob! (All of your kind suggestions came after I'd gone! ;) )

I'm going to have to lacquer the knob (ooh missus) as PC will react with the oil in hands.

I'll pop an LED in it for kicks, I'm not going to wire it in permanently though, I'll use a couple of coin cells!

I'm going to put an aluminum core in from the top, I've got a CNC mill at work so I'll stick it in there to mark it with the H...

I really like the stainless steel pins for the vent flaps, perhaps next week!

Cheers,

Mike

An Aluminium Gear Knob? Nice mixture of cutting curves, a taper, a thread (M10) and parting off as well as drilling, facing & possibly boring. It covers most of what you will ever do on a Lathe.

When they send you on the Milling course - you can engrave the H pattern and lettering on the top!

Or, taking it a bit further, you could bore out the middle from the face with the lettering. Then make a perspex plug which pushes into the void against a shoulder. Fit an LED in the void and stick a label showing the H pattern to the underside of the perspex plug. Then you could have an Illuminated Aluminium Gear Knob! You would have to run the wires down the gearstick - but that's not the end of the world. You could sleeve it with heat-shrink tubing.

You could use an incandecent bulb - then it would heat the knob too!

Si

I will expect to see this as one of the future products offered by Xeng :i-m_so_happy: smart drawing too

I will expect to see this as one of the future products offered by Xeng :i-m_so_happy: smart drawing too

I doubt it! I don't like stuff that lust looks 'bling', particularly that works less well than the original part. There are much bigger fish to fry in a Defender that nobody has looked at yet!

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops....sorry...turning..not milling...

It's milling too (although I know how to mill)...

I wouldn't want to manual mill hinges, I'd need 8 with my CSW! I might be able to use the work Haas MiniMill to do it though (Just need to ask the boss!)

It's milling too (although I know how to mill)...

I wouldn't want to manual mill hinges, I'd need 8 with my CSW! I might be able to use the work Haas MiniMill to do it though (Just need to ask the boss!)

Yes,a Haas MM would be ideal for that project. We have one and use OneCNC XR4 for the programming, takes the hassle out of G codes.....

Yes,a Haas MM would be ideal for that project. We have one and use OneCNC XR4 for the programming, takes the hassle out of G codes.....

Yep, we use SolidWorks for design, OneCNC for machine paths and the Haas and a tiny little Roland for the actual machining...

It's a sweet little setup, I just need to have "that" conversation about home work ;)