Old Man Emu Nitrocharger 'Sport' Shocks

Sirocco

I will be replacing my shocks soon and I was just going to plump for N115 fronts to compliment my N44 rears. These are original OME HD shocks but...

I have seen in the last 12 months or so the newer Nitrocharger 'Sport' which is said to be better.

Has anybody bought these and tried them? I cant find much real world use on the web. I will be going for the HDs as my 90 is running near enough GVW for an overland trip next year.

http://www.arb.com.au/products/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/nitrocharger-sport-shocks/

Thoughts please :D

G

Always overlooked imho is the Koni heavy trak shocks, i run them on my 110 and there just fantastic. Well worth the money and 1 less thing to worry about. There adjustable as well so you can soffen the ride when unladen.

I read a few mixed reports on the Koni's along with them being out of my budget so I have discounted them. Its taken me a long long time to narrow the choice of reasonably priced dampers :(

Got them on mine G.

Very very very very happy with them, nice quality bits of kit.

Andy

That is good news Andy. Do you know if there are different 'rates' of them? D44 only show a front and rear with no other options, if this is the case, all the better as I have no choice!

Out of interest, have you had your 90 weighed? I know its got a fair bit of kit on it. Just curious ;)

G

I've heard nor read anything like that!

Sorry, my mind wondered, it was another brand that snapped on the rear near the eyelet. I knocked the Koni's on the head mostly due to price.

G

Edit: Looks like the 'raids' are the expensive ones, the 'heavy tracks' are actually reasonable. Are they a twin tube design? as some pics seem to show them without the protective 'tube'.

When I did my trans-Africa, I had Koni heavy trak fitted to the rear (where most of the weight was), and they outlasted two sets of new front shocks (first was deCarbon, second was terrafirma adventure) and are still going strong now.

if they could be snapped, I probably would have snapped them. In fact on one very long road that had the most vicious, eye watering and soul destroying corrugations I have ever had the displeasure of having to perambulate, one of the Konis punched a neat hole through the lower shock mount rather than break. It then, being loose to swing about, swung pointing forward and was jabbed into every corrugation for ten miles before I noticed. All of which had no effect.

overlapped your reply - they are expensiveshort term but very good VFM in the long run I'd say.

Edited by Eightpot

Just for the record, you can snap any shock.

The reason they snap (contrary to popular belief) is when they bottom out on compression so the shock is acting as a bump stop. Most people figure it's down to them being over extended or just poor build quality. Good build quality will make them last longer in this situation - but it's still not good for the shock!

As a rule of thumb, with the vehicle at rest, measure the length of the rod (silver bit) sticking out of the body of the shock and subtract the distance from the top of the axle to the under side of the bump stop. If the result is less than 50mm, the shock will be acting as a bump stop. The solution is either thicker bump stops or moving the top shock mounting up.

Si

That is good news Andy. Do you know if there are different 'rates' of them? D44 only show a front and rear with no other options, if this is the case, all the better as I have no choice!

Out of interest, have you had your 90 weighed? I know its got a fair bit of kit on it. Just curious ;)

G

I just run the same damper on all four corners, which is nice for carting spares about. I ran Koni's before and was very impressed by these and they took massive amounts of abuse. But I now run the Gwyn Lewis setup so need the longer shocks and pin pin design.

What setup you running?

Andy

I just run the same damper on all four corners, which is nice for carting spares about. I ran Koni's before and was very impressed by these and they took massive amounts of abuse. But I now run the Gwyn Lewis setup so need the longer shocks and pin pin design.

What setup you running?

Andy

Currently Terrafirma Medium springs with OME N44 rears and TF fronts. The TF shocks are too soft that is why I got the N44s but these seem harsh even with a fully loaded vehicle. I was just going to get the N115 fronts but then saw the newer 'sport' versions.

Now Vulcan has put me in tune with the Koni Heavy Tracks which actually have some great reviews across the board (apologies to Vulcan it was Bilstein I got confused with when I looked at upgrading suspension years ago!). anyhow, the Koni's seem like a winner and are a little cheaper than OME.

So... I'm about to order 4 new Koni shocks and 4 new TF springs :) I think... I just can hit the 'buy' button as its big £££!

G

Currently Terrafirma Medium springs with OME N44 rears and TF fronts. The TF shocks are too soft that is why I got the N44s but these seem harsh even with a fully loaded vehicle. I was just going to get the N115 fronts but then saw the newer 'sport' versions.

Now Vulcan has put me in tune with the Koni Heavy Tracks which actually have some great reviews across the board (apologies to Vulcan it was Bilstein I got confused with when I looked at upgrading suspension years ago!). anyhow, the Koni's seem like a winner and are a little cheaper than OME.

So... I'm about to order 4 new Koni shocks and 4 new TF springs :) I think... I just can hit the 'buy' button as its big £££!

G

No worries, I dont reccommend stuff I dont believe in!

Not sure about terrafirma springs tho, would prefer to see you on OME's

Andy

Been running around on the medium duty (220lb/in Front & 300-340lb/in Rear) springs for over 4 years now with the 90 at near enough GVW. There is zero sag and I am very pleased with them :D The spring rates also match OME so it was fairly easy to decide on what I needed (at the time). I will however get the HD ones next (360lb/in Rear) as towing the Sankey also now.

No worries, I dont reccommend stuff I dont believe in!

;)

G