Would you trust them?

Just had a very nasty moment. Returning from well known builders / DIY supplier with about 500kg of bags of garden topsoil in back of 110 (favour for Son) strange noise like flat tyre (had on of those this week) stopped and nothing flat........went 50yds and the rear NS wheel came off. So we unloaded and jacked it up put wheel back on and found three of the wheel nuts in 150yds of the 'event' and with the use of the ones from the spare carrier we linped home.

The wheel has been untouched for about 6 months - first time for such a load.

Not able to provide an explanation for the rapid demise of so many fixings. Should I trust them (they seem to be tight) or should I replace? If so how difficult are the old studs to remove .....splined fit I see.

Slight Chuff chuff noise from rear but I THINK it's the damage to the brake back plate which has a flat on the bottom now!

Finally......various sizes or just one?

Thanks in advance

You can get wheel nut indicators, like you see busses driving around with them on and big HGV's, I know they lokk a bit naff, but maybe its worth popping them on until you feel you;re happy to take them off!? - if neaither the studs or the nuts have been changed recently then I would 1) check the threads to make sure they were all healthy 2) Suspect foul play 3) re-torque all your nuts back up and put some kind of indicator on the nuts, be it obvious ones or indicators only you can see, and keep an eye on them.

Got to say I'm a little intruged as to what happens when you loose a wheel?... thank goodness I've never had it happen to me..

Just some thoughts.

Mav

Experienced a wheel coming off on an old scooby pickup my parents had. Fortunately we were doing less than 30 through Bampton village high st. Wheel over took us and came to a stop 100m or so after we did! Cause was my brother not torquing the wheel nuts up properly. Not as instable as you'd think driving a three wheeler (or so am told, I wasn't driving at the time due to not being in long trousers yet).

agree with ideas above of marker - what we have on our new tractor but will work same is wheel nuts torqued up properly, go round the entire wheel twice to be sure ( i made that mistake once of missing a nut) and then once satisfied get white paint/tippex or similar and mark over nut onto rim so if it moves you see in a walkround.

We had a safety alert about this type of thing a while back.

Apparently people will loosen all the wheel nuts on a vehicle in preparation for coming back later to steal all the wheels in one quick go, it has been known to happen to quite a few vehicles in long stay car parks.

I assume you have checked the rest by now anyway?.

I've had a rear o/s nuts come loose, fortunately I was going slow and felt/heard this odd rumbling. I blamed it on an offroad day I had just been at. I have seen people put copper grease on the wheel studs,"to make it easier to change wheels".

Thread lock might be worth a try.

Thanks for the replys. I must say that the thought of 'foul play' crossed my mind. Fortunatly we had stopped to look for the 'flat' just before it happened and had only moved about a 100 yds before the wheel came off. Shame I didn't look closer but my mind was on the bottom of the tyre! To be honest it was a very 'controlled' incident just stopped in about 25 yds in a straight line tyre beside the defender. Only damage slightly mangled brake back plate bottom edge and the rear panel behind the tyre caused by the wheel 'escaping' nothing the careful application of a hammer won't tidy up. I like the Tippex idea - good for a start. and a daily check round I think.

Thanks again all.