Help required: Is this a galvanised chassis?

Thanks Cwazy, I am still going to clamber all over/under this thing as per usual, but we are also getting an RAC check done if we go for it, to cover all the bits I don't know (which is most of it!).

Photos will naturally be supplied in the event of successful check, neg and purchase...

If it's ex-FC then it will have had a hard life with them I would think, based on what our Land Rovers here get put through anyhow. May be different where it was based but the forest roads up here are very rough with huge potholes, and when in the Land Rovers people don't slow down for them at all.

However what with the chassis change I would imagine the suspension will have had some attention, which is where they take the most battering, so it should be OK. Check the bushes and shocks all the same :)

If it's ex-FC then it will have had a hard life with them I would think, based on what our Land Rovers here get put through anyhow. May be different where it was based but the forest roads up here are very rough with huge potholes, and when in the Land Rovers people don't slow down for them at all.

However what with the chassis change I would imagine the suspension will have had some attention, which is where they take the most battering, so it should be OK. Check the bushes and shocks all the same :)

It was not FC to the best of my understanding, but still forestry/arboricultural so it will have been 'well used'. I went to see it today and have secured it. Additional paperwork shows new springs, dampers, bump stops, front turrets, rear brackets and a full polybush replacement, so hopefully it will be just fine!

Questions as a result of the RAC check...

1) There is no VIN stamp on the replacement galvy chassis. Is this normal/acceptable?

2) There is excessive play in the radiator fan bearing. Is the bearing in the fan itself or elsewhere?

3) Excessive oil leaks from the lower, upper engine and the gear box. Does anyone know the meaning of excessive in RAC car check terms? Is this excessive for a landy or excessive for a eurobox?

1) Is quite normal as the galvanised chassis comes without a vin stamped as it's a replacement.

2) The bearing on the 300 tdi fan is in the front casing that the fan is mounted to and from memory the official way to replace it is to replace the whole casting.

1) Is quite normal as the galvanised chassis comes without a vin stamped as it's a replacement.

2) The bearing on the 300 tdi fan is in the front casing that the fan is mounted to and from memory the official way to replace it is to replace the whole casting.

If it helps diagnose/translate what he is saying: Over the phone, the guy said it could stay put for some time, or the fan could come off and go through the radiator.

I guess it depends on where exactly the oil leaks are from, how bad they are and how willing you are to get your hands dirty.

Leaks around the sump gasket are common, but if it's coming from the wading plug holes it's more worrying as it would indicate crankshaft seals.

Leaks from the rocker cover are simple enough to solve.

Would also be good to know if he really means gearbox or the more likely culprit of the transfer box.

Common transfer box leaks are the output flange seals and the intermediate shaft O-ring.

Output flanges aren't particularly difficult to do although the nut can be a bugger to undo sometimes. Intermediate shaft is more of a pain as it can sometimes need the transfer box casing modified due to wear.

I very much doubt you are ever going to find a Land Rover of that age which is going to be perfect, certainly not in terms of lack of oil leaks. Your man really needs to be specific in regards to the source of the leaks for any kind of accurate diagnosis to be made here, in general terms many of them leak a bit of oil here and there to a greater or lesser degree and over time the odd drip of oil being blown about in the slipstream can look a lot worse than it actually is ;)

I very much doubt you are ever going to find a Land Rover of that age which is going to be perfect, certainly not in terms of lack of oil leaks. Your man really needs to be specific in regards to the source of the leaks for any kind of accurate diagnosis to be made here, in general terms many of them leak a bit of oil here and there to a greater or lesser degree and over time the odd drip of oil being blown about in the slipstream can look a lot worse than it actually is ;)

I am prepared for oil leaks, that is not a problem, they are to be expected, it was just the wording of excessive I was trying to get to the bottom of whilst unable to speak to the engineer.

The top and bottom of my engine are covered in oil, yet I never have to top it up between services which just shows how much mess a tiny leak can make. The same goes for the gearbox and transfer box, which also never need topping up more than about 1/8th of a pint. It never drips on the drive either.

Which actually tells me it's having an identity crisis. :unsure: