Rounded bell housing bolt :(

TobyMellin

Hey Guys

The time has come to swap the gearbox in my Disco. Every single bolt is out except 1....and it the bolt at 10 o'clock ish on the bell housing (if you are lying underneath, head facing toward the back).

The bolt was already rounded, I've tried smacking a socket on etc but there just isn't room underneath to get any sort of power behind the hammer!

Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards going and buying some of those bolt removers that have the spiral grip in a socket?

I would just weld another nut on but it's a bit tight in there!

Any help is much appreciated!

Toby

Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards going and buying some of those bolt removers that have the spiral grip in a socket?

I had a set of these they are good (got to get a new set) but would suggest using impact extension bars. After constant use you can bugger the normal bars and also I've broken two of these socket

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried making more room yet as well? I had the same thing on my RRC, just one f##king little sh*t of a bolt right at the top! Anyway, I ended up taking the engine mounting rubbers out so I could lower the whole lot, had enough room then to swing the hammer to get a smaller socket on and off it came.

Took two full days of my life that b*stard bolt. I kept it and mounted it on the wall of the workshop to look at for inspiration, nothing could ever be as bad as that bolt...

It sounds daft, stick the other bolts back in and do them up as tight as you can, putting the rounded bolts in the easy to access places. This should take the back pressure off the offending bolt. Try and undo it.

If you do go down the screw extractor route you have to get the best drill bit you can & drill it as centrally as you can.

You also need the best screw extractors. Laser make some pretty good ones and I think halfords sell them.

you'll also need something to turn the extractor; a tap and die T-bar, they are rare beasts though probably an internet job.

Go as big as you can and give the extractor a gentle tap with a hammer to get it to bite.

You can then try the blow torch or cold to get the bolt to budge...

Good luck, just don't break the extractor or your knackered!

Cheers,

Mike

The spiral bolt removers are very effective. I only have one (19mm) which has been valuable when all else fails. I bought it from a local car spares shop. I really ought to buy a complete set!

I've also had success welding a bar to a bolt head using an arc welder, just using the bar as the rod and earthing to the bolt. You only get one go to get it in the right place. After it strikes an arc, leave it arcing for a second or two then push it into the bolt head, then switch the current off. It can actually form a pretty decent weld. Worth practicing to get the timings using another bolt the same size.

It might even work between a socket and a bolt head.

Si

are these the m10 bolts with an 13 mm hex? they have definately been the subject of some swearing in my garage! vice grips, weld something to it or cut it off, and remove the rest later are all methods I have used, in the correct order of desperacy. :)

Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried making more room yet as well? I had the same thing on my RRC, just one f##king little sh*t of a bolt right at the top! Anyway, I ended up taking the engine mounting rubbers out so I could lower the whole lot, had enough room then to swing the hammer to get a smaller socket on and off it came.

Took two full days of my life that b*stard bolt. I kept it and mounted it on the wall of the workshop to look at for inspiration, nothing could ever be as bad as that bolt...

I might try that! Hadn't thought of loosening engine mounts

A number of people on here have had success with http://www.screwfix....mover-set/96028 for rounded bolts.

They're the ones! I once used them for removing a sheared locking wheel nut bolt. Think they might be worth investing in....

thin cutting disc in the small grinder and cut the head of the bolt. when the gearbox is off vice grips will remove the threaded part,

or big hammer and a good sharp cold chisel and try and get it moving.

cheers gary

There just isn't enough room for a cutting disc or to get any swing on a hammer! :(

are these the m10 bolts with an 13 mm hex? they have definately been the subject of some swearing in my garage! vice grips, weld something to it or cut it off, and remove the rest later are all methods I have used, in the correct order of desperacy. :)

Yep they're the ones! Quite a few of them were rounded, but they were lower down thankfully and I managed to smack a multi point socket on!

Cheers for the advice guys, hopefully I'll get the b^%$%^d out today!