Which synthetic rop and where to buy?

dirtydiesel

Has anyone used the Gwyn lewis fairlead with rollers for the sidepulls? He is no longer showing it on his website, but that looked like a good idea to me. I still think a roller is much better than a standard fairlead, as there is no friction. I cant package it without compromising the aproach angle, but if I had the choice it would be a roller every time.

Daan

I still think a roller is much better than a standard fairlead, as there is no friction.

i agree but rollers need to be working which in my truck and my driving ability - bumping into things cant be guaranteed! a seized one would be worse than a std fairlead design so i decided to give it a miss, looks a good idea though.

Not seen the Gwyn Lewis version but I used a roller fairlead with synthetic rope before the aluminium hawse type became available - I even tried one with nylon rollers.

The problem was that at some point or other the rope would get wedged in the corner of the rollers - not a problem with steel because it doesn't deform.

Even if it's 3x the diameter that gives 33 to 42mm radius or 66 to 84mm diameter bar/tube If you made a hawse like that - it would be bigger than your bumper! 3x the circumference would give 207mm to 263mm diameter tube/bar! That hawse would be big enough to pull the Land Rover through the slot!

It's still fair to say, the bigger the better - or at least the longer the rope will last with sideways pulls in particular.

I have a design in the works for my own fairlead, with a 30mm radius and it will still fit into the space on my First Four shadow bumper :). Just need to get it machined at work!

• 1 month later...

just stumbled across this thread and thought i can add a little fuel to the fire. Being that ive been competing for 3 years with a single winch on a truck that has been adapted to pull in all directions via various stainless rigging hooks. my winch ropes possibly get more of a work out than on a multi winch vehicle, i know my truck is lighter than most however it can still weigh a good bit when its up to the bonnet in the brown stuff. i have tried out ony 3 types of rope and have settled for now on 125 ft of 12mm bowrope.

for one david is in the south and attends some / most of the comps i enter,

he always carries a good supply of spare ropes motors albrights etc etc.

his customer care is second to none from what i know,

the product is at a fair price and it works for me.

david will listen to what you say and take on board your thoughts.

i generally have been getting 10-12 events mostly 2 day from a rope, then i buy new and keep the old as a back up, there is no real reason for this

other than thats what im happy doing.

jerrys290.jpg